Gravely 16G pro troubles

/ Gravely 16G pro troubles #1  

booth1331

Tractor
Gravely 16G pro
I have a 16g Pro and a couple of yrs ago it started starving out after it got hot. I noticed little gas in the fuel filter so replaced it and checked the fuel line for obstructions etc., and everything was fine but the problem continued........ when it gets hot you can see little to no fuel in the filter.........I have had this problem ever since...After it cools off it starts right up........Any ideas????

Last edited:
   / Gravely 16G pro troubles #2  
Your tractor is shot. No good. Therefore you should bring it to me and I will give it a proper Gravely burial....or I might put a new gas cap on it and run it for 30 years...or until I die. :D
Yeah, that would be my first thought...like holding your finger on a drinking straw. I'm guessing it's not venting enough to siphon fuel through.
Hmmmm....Seems I remember reading a thread where a guy was having a similar problem here and IIRC the vent is not in the cap but hidden somewhere on the tank...heck...can't remember...I'll post back if I can find that thread.
Here's that thread but it's not as much help as I thought.

Last edited:
   / Gravely 16G pro troubles
Good one tony!!!! No I love the 16G....The vent was the first thing I checked on the tractor....I wonder about fuel with ethanol in it, if it vaporizes in the fuel filter or something like that......The thread you linked had some interesting thoughts....I didnt think there was a fuel pump on the 16G but maybe I am wrong....I just know its a problem only when its hot....Thanks

/ Gravely 16G pro troubles #4  
I would replace the fuel line between the pump and carb and also would look at the routing of the fuel line. I have seen fuel boil in the fuel filter on my M18 when stopped but it never affected the running of it. Does it help to pull the choke slightly when hot?

/ Gravely 16G pro troubles
Yes Richard, that is what we typically do....Pull the choke out about 1/2 way and sometimes it will run fine like that...Other times it only works for 10 or 15 minutes then shuts down even with nearly full choke....

/ Gravely 16G pro troubles #6  
There are a few things that it could be.

Since you are running out of fuel only when hot, then there are very few things it could be. One of the things that would do it is a cracked fuel line. Sometimes they won't leak fuel but will leak air into the system. The fuel pump creates a bit of a vacuum on the supply line and that means no fuel.

I suppose the fuel pump could be another possibility as well as a clogged fuel filter.

Try filling the fuel tank to the top and see if that makes a difference.