Idler Pulley

/ Idler Pulley #1  

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Well, over the weekend, one of the idler pulleys on my Gravely zero turn mower (23 hp, 48 inch cut) went bad. The belt is still on and the mower still works fine --- but the pulley is definitely broke and needs replacing.

I have found the part online and have it ordered.

It looks like a relatively simple repair --- remove the broken pulley and install the new pully. One bolt, 2 washers and a nut.

Has anyone replaced these pulleys and is there anything I need to be aware of before starting the repair? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

MoKelly

/ Idler Pulley #2  
had the bracket on mine break, it was not much trouble to change out as best as I can remember.

/ Idler Pulley
Well, this subject certainly did not create much interest. However, I will post my results:

- last Friday, I replaced an idler pulley on my Graveley zero turn (2348 XLT). I have never done this task before.

- it was pretty easy. I had to lift the front of the mower about 18 inches to access the bolt head under the deck (when I tried to loosen the nut holding the pulley on the whole thing turned). The nut came off easily once the bolt head was secured.

- the old pulley came off easily. The entire center part apparently rusted out and failed. The mower has 450 hours and is stored inside. I looked at the other 2 idler pulleys and they loked OK. Not sure why this one failed so soon.

- The new pulley went in easily and I tighted everything up. The belt went back easy. It works perfectly.

I have to commend Graveley for its design to allow this replacement to go easy. Took about 15 minutes total.

MoKelly