Gravely l8

/ Gravely l8 #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
Hey guys so I finally got the gravely to sputter and it's gettin spark. Now I had my pops take a look and he said I have fueling issues. Honestly I'm not good at all with carbs so, where would be a good starring point? Also I'm gonna probably sell this when I repair it and play for awhile, so I'll upload a picture and what do you guys think this might be worth? Thanks

Attachments

• image-4003474957.jpg
    image-4003474957.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 366
   / Gravely l8 #2  
Time to get good with carbs.

They aren't hard to fix. It just requires some patience and a good source of compressed air and a good blow gun.

/ Gravely l8
Ok so today I pulled the bowl off and cleaned it. It really wasn't that dirty but just to be sure I sprayed it all with carb cleaned let it sit the blew it out with compressed air. Still no luck. It will just crank and crank forever. So I thought I had the problem with magneto fixed so now I'm only getting a little tiny yellow spark. Frustrated to say the least. I now have no idea what to ever check or where to start. Thanks

/ Gravely l8 #4  
Tiny spark? The magneto should produce a spark at least 3/8" long.

Time to replace the condenser in the magneto. RIchard's (gravelyparts.com) has them.

/ Gravely l8
ok the new confenser is ordered and on the way along with new plug spark plug cable in line fuel filter air cleaned and a few other goodies haha

/ Gravely l8 #6  
Wouldn't hurt to try just cleaning the points.

When I tried to start mine after sitting, no spark. I looked close and there was white chalky stuff on the points. A little polishing with 320 grit emery cloth and it's good to go.

/ Gravely l8 #7  
Corroded points will indeed cause no spark at all. A weak condenser will produce a weak spark and in some cases no spark at all.

/ Gravely l8
ya i had already taken a fine file and made the points shiny so i figured that was the next step.

/ Gravely l8
ok finally got the parts in new condenser plug boot wire and boot at the top new plug and fuel filter and carb to bowl gasket. instaled everything and got big blue spark still no go gettin fuel to the bowl and spark then i rotated the timing 180 degrees and still wont start what gives?

/ Gravely l8 #10  
Sounds to me like you need to disassemble the carb, I dont know if it has fixed jets or needles for the main and idle. if it has needles turn them in counting the number of turns (ie 2 1/4 ) write it down ! then remove the needles and any seals ,springs, washers and spray carb cleaner through the jets. you should see spray coming into the venturie and also the float bowl area.DO NOT STICK ANY METAL OBJECT INTO THE ORFISES !! reseat the needles back to your original turns out and set the float level to even accross when holding the carb upside down.

Good luck