Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice #1  

sdb

Tractor
craftsman lt1000
Gravely Pro-260 w/ Kohler vs Gravely Pro-160 with Kawasaki engines

Hello,
Please forgive me if this is not done correctly, but this is my first attempt at posting anything. I am looking for advice.

I am currently looking to purchase a gravely zero turn mower and I am looking for commercial grade. I am able to get a 2011 Pro Turn 260 with a Kohler Command engine (29hp) that is fuel injected for the same price (just below $8,000.00)as a 2012 Pro-Turn 160 with a Kawasaki engine (23.5hp) with a carburetor. Does anyone have any suggestions??

This ZTR will need to be stored outside for at least 1 season.

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice
Hello Everyone Again,
I am trying to figure out if it is safe to by the Kohler Command Engine I have not heard great things about the Kohler here lately or should I stick with the Kawasaki? I really like the Pro 260 but the dealer only has that one in a Kohler and the 160 with the Kawasaki.

I have also been told that if I am storing it outside I should probably go fuel injected versus the carburetor. I am not sure why there would be a difference but than again I do not know much about engines.

I have about 4 acres of field that has just destroyed my craftsman. The guy who currently mows the field said I definitely needed commercial grade mower ZTR would be easiest.

Is there a difference in the ride or seats that come standard etc... I currently drive 150 miles to work and want to spend as little time in a seat as possible, but when I am there I want to be as comfortable as possible

If anyone has any experience or knowledge with either of these mowers I would greatly appreciate any incite you could give me.

I really need low maintenance and long lasting. The Gravely's cost more than my cars, but then again I am cheap.

Thanks Again

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice #3  
My Graveley Pro 260 is 10 years of age and is worth every one of the many pennies I spent for it. We went from 2 days of mowing to 3 hours for the same job. On smooth terrain it goes FAST, with grass cutting as fast as you can go. It is a huge time saver and built (nearly) like a tank. It goes through unforgiving terrain and has no structural flaws yet. We have a carbureted Kohler 24 HP (?) which has had one new carb installed several years ago. Had I known about Seafoam then, perhaps that additive would have cured the problem, rather than a new carb. My wife complained of engine surging last week and adding about 1 oz of Seafoam per gallon caused the surging to stop. Gas spoils quickly, so add some Seafoam and close the fuel supply line to burn as much as possible before parking for the winter. Don't keep gas in the tanks over winter.

With a ZT, you get a bit of a rough ride if the turf or field is not smooth. It IS short-coupled.

Our Pro 260 is still going strong, cuts beautifully if blades are sharp, and has taken quite a beating around our farm. Bigger is better for us!

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice #4  
For what you're using it for, I would stick with the 160, you should be able to find a brand new one for $7000 easily. The 160s are great machines, and it really won't matter if you store it outside either way.

If you wanted to save a few more dollars I believe you could also use the ZTHD 60. You would save nearly $3000, and could throw a suspension seat on it for a better ride. I have the HD60 and mow a tad more then you do. Granted I only have 40hrs on it, but it's been great and 100% trouble free even mowing the rough/tall stuff..

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice
Thank you guys for your advice.

I have to agree that I like Bigger is better. I will take a look at the ZTHD 60 though saving $3000.00 is always helpful.

Cheap or Bigger Those are tough choices for me. LOL

I was given the impression that the carburetor engine would have trouble being outside, or I should say troubles could come about because it was not fuel injected. I admit I do not know much about engines but i don't want to cause issues for myself in the long run.

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice #6  
I don't see where either one has its issues being outside. Both are susceptible to getting mouse infestation and water in the fuel. However keeping the fuel cap on tight and using quality fuel will usually take care of water. More the likely you wont' have an issue with either one if you're using it regularly. Working between 2 dealerships one in a rural area, one in a more populated area, I see all kinds of abuse but few and far between are issues caused by parking outside.

Both the 160 and 260 have the same seats, and I would highly doubt you would be mowing at full speed, so top speed isn't a big issue. The 260 does have a larger chassis, but even a 300lb fella fits fine on a 160. Drive both and see what you think. At our dealership we'll take both units to a potential buyer so they can demo both to have a better perspective on their property.

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice #7  
I would go with the fuel injected engine over carbed engine anytime and some of the Kohler engines have had major problems with short life spans.

/ Gravely ZT Pro 260 vs Pro 160 advice #8  
I would go with the fuel injected engine over carbed engine anytime and some of the Kohler engines have had major problems with short life spans.

You realize the EFI engine is a Kohler