Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC, Gravely 8199G w/23hp Vanguard

Default Re: Repowering 8199G

Richard, I've had to take a wooden dowel and gently tap with a rubber hammer on the points case, and that usually worked. Come to think of it, last time it was serviced they replaced the pushrod along with the points, and I've not had the problem since. Hmmmm.

And....my bad, it was not a 24G I saw with a Subaru V twin, but rather a 20G. Found the picture, too bad I didn't get one from the rear. Sure liked his Johnny Bucket. I bought this guy's snowblower for my 8199G.

btw, I took one ride with the chains on, scratched the heck out of my driveway, took them off, built a weight box with 300 pounds in it, and it ran marvelously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Repowering 8199G-p1030207-jpg   Repowering 8199G-p1000066-jpg   Repowering 8199G-p1000146-jpg  
    Last edited by daugen; 11-07-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: more pics

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Gravely

Chains will scratch a driveway but when the snow gets deep, nothing beats their traction.

Tractor

well....I may have done myself in here yesterday. Last mow job of the year, cutting down a lady's "wild meadow", i.e. messy weed patch, and I got into a large area of what I think is milkweed. It was like snow all around me, and I didn't think much of it, dumb me, until I started smelling something and shortly thereafter the engine died. To my serious dismay, smoke is pouring out of the engine, everything is clogged tight with the cottony fluff from the plant, and I really overheated the engine. The gasoline in my clear gas filter was boiling...I blew it all clean with my portable blower, and thank goodness nothing lit off. Let it cool down and would not start, though it spun freely. Expect I cooked either the condenser or the coil. Will pull all the engine shrouds and make sure there isn't any junk in there, which there sure wasn't before I started. Feel bad breaking my machine, not its fault but mine, but with the engine out of sight back there, I just didn't see what was going on nor did I expect it to clog that quickly, in under an hour of mowing. Air cleaner clogged too, with a pile of seeds in one corner. But the clogged intake grill was what did me in, no air getting to the engine so no surprise it cooked. Hopefully I didn't screw up the head, but it turned over fine with no strange noises. Going to replace the fuel lines just in case, can't imagine that kind of heat didn't damage the ones right on the engine. Bummer.

Veteran Member

I've had a couple of coils go out on my Onan engines on my Gravely riders from getting too hot I expect. Not cheap, around $100 IIRC.. I have a Gravely 816S that I replaced the original Onan with a newer P18 several years ago. It was very expensive for a new engine, never heard of craigslist or ebay back then... It died (will not even turn over) this last summer while pulling a sprayer... I did not have time to deal with it so walked home and got one of the other Gravely riders to finish the job. Reading this thread reminded me that I need to have a look at it and figure out what is wrong... I have 3 Gravely riders, I'm going to move some parts around, end up with two that run well, then sell the 3rd one with a loader.

Hope you find out good news on your cooked engine. Perhaps a digital gauge from a racing kart would work for you. I had a kart 20 years ago that had rpm and temp. A single wire wrapped around spark plug wire for RPM, temp was a thermocouple thing that was like a washer under the spark plug or one of the head bolts, I don't remember which...
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD
    2016 Ferris IS700Z 52" Briggs 27hp commercial turf series

Tractor

I hope to get the details today, but the dealer called yesterday and said they got it running, after installing Kirk's twin coil and electronic conversion kit, so it must have been, as I sorta expected, an electrical melt down. Not sure if they took the head off, but it appears that some electrical part acted like a thermal fuse and died for my sins, thankfully. When I get the Gravely back, I'll take pics of the conversion and post them here. The coil is shaped totally different so I'm curious, to say the least, how they installed it.

Hawkeye, I've seen, somewhere, the spark plug heat sensor, and wasn't sure it was what I needed. Sure would like something that bolted into the top of the head, but maybe that spot is as good as it's going to get. I do have the tach/hour meter with the wire around the spark plug btw, it works fine, though seems a little slow in reaction time. I am rebuilding an old CC 125 and got the analog tach for that, boy would I like one of those on the Gravely. And a temp gauge right next to it...and yes, an overheat light/buzzer would be smart too.

After this little learning experience, I'm going to try to rig up an open mesh filter that attaches to the rear engine guard, and that hopefully will collect some of the chaff flying around. Not a lot of space in there, but if I removed the stock
    screen wiper, I might be able to rig up something helpful. Plus maybe an electric fan too... good winter project.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long solid bucket grapple, TNT, CA forks and stump bucket, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, ETA heavy duty rake and blade, Northern Tools 55 gal orchard sprayer, tow behind 8hp Little Wonder blower,

Tractor

a tardy update. It runs fine with the new ignition system. No backfiring or weirdness, but still rolls at idle.

I've hunted around the internet as much as I can, and have seen two or three engines put on the back of Gravely tractors.
    What interests me is the Subaru V twin, 23hp since it seems to be more compact than others. Also, I like Subaru as an engine co.
    Honda too, a nice 690 back there would do, but I always see if the US stuff is available first. So here's Kohler's best EFI:
    Kohler Engines: Engines: Command PRO EFI

none of which look like they could remotely fit, adapter plate or not, without at least ditching the Donaldson style filter.

but while pondering this page, I wondered...just how much hp could the Gravely take? I have rugged HDAP tires on the back, and they
    can put the hp to the ground. I know the riders went up to 24hp. I wonder what the design could reasonably take, understanding that more hp
    might reduce clutch life. But the mechanical part seems very robust. As is the rear end. So how high could we go? 26-28-30 hp? I wonder who
    has tried...
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long solid bucket grapple, TNT, CA forks and stump bucket, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, ETA heavy duty rake and blade, Northern Tools 55 gal orchard sprayer, tow behind 8hp Little Wonder blower,

Tractor

I have a Gravely 816S that I replaced the original Onan with a newer P18 several years ago. It was very expensive for a new engine, never heard of craigslist or ebay back then... It died (will not even turn over) this last summer while pulling a sprayer... I did not have time to deal with it

I would be very interested to know why a low hour Onan conked out on you. Was this a winter project for you? Drew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12