Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn!

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #1  

Carl_NH

Elite Member
Tractor
01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8
Friend of mine had this for sale - picked up Saturday took a trial run about and everything works great!

Spent today cleaning up grease and oil off the transmission area and geting to know this machine and doing some cleanup. Its a 1972 model, got all the manuals and repair / maintenance records since 1980 and a nice box of spare parts, three new blades, the red blade tool. Also had the head and valves done in 2002 so runs very good.

Got the chains in a bag, and the sickle bar -that's what I really wanted due to the rocks, ledge and briars here.

I look forward to getting out in the bush and brush with this machine. Any suggestions and tips and suggestions as to maintenance and operation is most appreciated.

Carl

Attachments

• Sickle Bar.JPG
    Sickle Bar.JPG
    783.3 KB · Views: 756
  • Right Side.JPG
    Right Side.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Rite inside 2.JPG
    Rite inside 2.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 1,889
   / Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #2  
Nice looking machine! Hard to believe the condition it is in. They are a beast for mowing brush. Not much on side hills though. They want to go front first down a hill. The one I had came with a rotary plow. I was forever impressed by the Gravely rotary plow.

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn!
Yes, in the limited time I have spent with this two wheeled beast - it defintinely decides where to take you!

As to condition, i knew the owner and his propensity to documentation and repair but did clean the hood and wheels, added a stop for the hood and some other minor updates and repairs.

I will work it out next weekend but more for testing as its getting towards winter now, so it will wait to spring for more excersize - I do want to get a sulky eventually.

Thanks

Carl

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #4  
I wouldn't fault this 1972 Gravely. This is one of the nicest one's that I have seen in a long time.

Well, thank you, that's pretty much why I bought it - I have been admiring it in his barn for a few years and commented that one day I would like one like that.

His diligence and records of all repairs original manuals (and box of spares) was a big plus I didnt expect.

Carl

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #6  
I have owned Gravely's for decades. I am a Gravely person. I presently own a 16-G. They show Gravely's at tractor shows in our area. Gravely's do have a following here. Your L8 would catch an eye or two at a show. For sure mine.

I have a question - I got the wheel weights/extenders too I think for adding dual wheels - the fellow I bought it from said they were weights.

I am debating finding another set of wheels and making it a dually and maybe doing tractor treads - any thoughts in this - benefits/drawbacks?

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #8  
Nice looking machine! I picked up one for a winter restore project. It's all intact for the most part. For now my Commercial 8 being transitioned from lawn work to snow removal. One thing that I noticed is that- according to the manual- the mulching attachment on your mower is on the front. It should be in the rear. The guard that is on the front is actually the normal rear guard with a smaller one on the front. You can download most all manuals on the internet. If you can't find them I can link you to them. Enjoy your tractor

Thanks JSF,

I have the bush hog 30" mower with the optional chain guard on the front, not the mulching mower setup. You are right tho the mulching setup attaches / discharges to the rear.

I got the sickle bar tuned up now, new knives, adjusted the fingers so they are all even - I used spacers under the finger against bar to level them to the blade. The skid shoes on the bar are worn thin so they are heading to a welder for some hardfacing tomorrow as new ones arent available. Wish I had a welder but thats for another day.

I have all the original manuals from the previous owner and have downloaded other various datasheets on this machine.

Thanks again,

Carl

/ Gravely L8 Super Convertible in my barn! #10  
Thanks JSF,

I have the bush hog 30" mower with the optional chain guard on the front, not the mulching mower setup. You are right tho the mulching setup attaches / discharges to the rear.

I got the sickle bar tuned up now, new knives, adjusted the fingers so they are all even - I used spacers under the finger against bar to level them to the blade. The skid shoes on the bar are worn thin so they are heading to a welder for some hardfacing tomorrow as new ones arent available. Wish I had a welder but thats for another day.

I have all the original manuals from the previous owner and have downloaded other various datasheets on this machine.

Thanks again,

Carl

Sorry, guess I couldn't really tell by the picture. The sickle attachment would be nice. Lots of brush could use clearing here and I suspect that that would be attachment of choice. I'll going to keep my eyes open for one locally.