Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #1  

lefty0491

Tractor
none
I'm looking for a walk behind Gravely to use for snow removal (push blade) and
mowing (brush mower) around the house. I'd also like to be able to use various
attachments and use it to put in food plots on the property were I hunt.
Thinking I'll need the brush mower, rotary plow and probably a sickle mower at a
minimum to do that. Will probably set it up for dual wheel as well.

Not having too much experience with the walk behinds what would you guy
recommend for the job? Can I get by with the smaller machines or should I be
looking for the higher HP models? Are there any particular models to avoid?
Are there any common defects to look for like gear boxes cracking in the same
place that would make them harder to restore and repair?

I'm even open to buying a machine in need of overhaul before I need it in the
spring. I have the mechanical ability and knowledge to be able to do more than
just maintenance on them or at least access to it - dad might be getting a new
project. Maybe even a repower job if I find the right machine in need of more
than TLC.

Leaning toward a 5000 series machine but open to suggestions. Electric starter
would get added if it's not there already.

Thanks for any help.

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #2  
Find a 5665 or a Pro 12 or Pro16 with the Briggs twin. The 12 hp is nice because you don't have to wind out the engine to get 8 hp out of it. Same applies to the 16hp version.

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #3  
My experience with a 5000 series is that a bush hog type mower is nearly indestructible
And will grind up anything it can knock over. My sickle mower has a lot more delicate parts
And while I'm glad I have it, if I know it's going to get ugly, I go with the bush hog every time.
Mine has the 8hp Kohler. Slightly less power than the big boys, but always enough and is easier
To muscle around.
I don't really know of a weak spot on a gravely. Just keep em serviced, act like you have some
Sense using it and you will wear out long before it does.

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #4  
I would not bother with the sickle mower. The 30" rotary mower is quicker and does a nice job even in tall weeds.

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #5  
The 30 would be the best option most of the time as it can mow the field or the lawn, and do a decent job on both, however the sickle does have a place. Unknown or known "rocky" soil would be one of those places I would use the sickle, it doesnt launch projectiles like the 30 with the front guard off for tall stuff. I havent seen the Gravely sickle become my desired tool for mowing to be honest, it does ok but it clogs alot in real tall stuff, keep the growth under 24" with new knives and it does decent but having to run the engine at reduced speed to keep down vibration slows it up a bit, maybe one day I'll make a 60" bar to counter the slow speed. The 30 is pretty trouble free just keep oil in the gearbox and the slip clutch adjusted.

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #6  
I agree....most of the time. However if you have something you want to let dry and gather up for hay of some sort, say for the kids' rabbits, the sickle bar doesn't destroy it like the 30". Its a good "farm job" for the kids too. Again I seldom use it and like you favor the 30" but keep the sickle around as well.

Have a good one!

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #7  
I spent quite a few hours behind a L model (8hp) with a 30" deck on the front and it did well. Had to take your time, but it got the job done (was burning ~1qt of oil per gallon of gas at the end though, so ti needed a ring job)

Aaron Z

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #8  
I agree....most of the time. However if you have something you want to let dry and gather up for hay of some sort, say for the kids' rabbits, the sickle bar doesn't destroy it like the 30". Its a good "farm job" for the kids too. Again I seldom use it and like you favor the 30" but keep the sickle around as well.

Have a good one!

Ah yes that would be a job best suited to the sickle mower for sure

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #9  
I spent quite a few hours behind a L model (8hp) with a 30" deck on the front and it did well. Had to take your time, but it got the job done (was burning ~1qt of oil per gallon of gas at the end though, so ti needed a ring job)

Aaron Z

The L is my favorite even though it has less power than ones with other non-Gravely engines. Parts are available but they are expensive for no good reason that I can see. The original Grevely engine will outlast three regular ones in most cases.

That said the Kohler is a good engine. I never seem to have the best luck with B&S engines and avoid them generally.

My little tribute to Gravelys:

Lefty's Hefty Hideaway: Gravely lawn tractors: An American treasure

/ Advice on Gravely walk behinds wanted #10  
Personally I won't have a Gravely powered tractor and for many reasons. The biggest is the lack of a charging system. Second is that some engine parts are nearly impossible to find. Even when the engine was in production, cylinders were very expensive. There is a lot of machining that is involved with making cylinders.

The last L8 I had, I traded for an old style power brush.