Gravely 20g pto problem

/ Gravely 20g pto problem #1  

bigcontender

Tractor
Gravely 424, 20G
There is a 20g for sale in my area.

Owner says last time he used tractor to mow the mower would not shut off.

Any ideas on what it will take to fix this.

Thanks

/ Gravely 20g pto problem #2  
I don't know about a 20G but my 16G has an adjustment for the PTO lever. Mine will stick if out of adjustment. It's a simple adjustment to make.

/ Gravely 20g pto problem #3  
It could be that the tractor was left sitting with the PTO engaged. In cases like that the clutch can stick on. To free the clutch there are a variety of things to try. One way that sometimes works is to mow with the PTO disengaged. It may break loose after 5-10 minutes of mowing. I have never seen a tractor PTO clutch suddenly go out of adjustment where it would not disengage. In a case like that either something was broken or missing. The PTO handle would also flop back and forth.

I have one tractor that has the PTO clutch stuck on. I have tried every trick that I know of to get it to break free and they have all failed. I will likely have to tear down the transmission.

/ Gravely 20g pto problem
Thanks that give me a couple of things to try when I go look at the tractor.

/ Gravely 20g pto problem #5  
Check your free play. If there is too much free play then the PTO clutch will not disengage. Too little free play and it will not engage properly.

Be kind to your PTO clutch. Engage it at an idle. Replacing the PTO clutch is not an easy job. It takes about 8 hrs of work. It isn't cheap either. It costs about $300 for parts.

Ok thanks
How do you check pto clutch free play? Is this something that would just act up with the mower running?

Thanks again

/ Gravely 20g pto problem #7  
I think he is referring to the free play in the PTO lever. The PTO lever should have a certain amount of free play in the engaged position. I rarely had to adjust the PTO clutch on the two Gravelys that I have owned.

Thanks I plan on looking at the tractor this week so I'll check the pto lever for clearance.

OK I bought this very nice tractor, 520 hours on it. Now when I look at the pto lever to adjust it. I move the lever ahead and it flies ahead like it's spring loaded slams the front of the cover then there is now some play in the lever and I adjusted it for the .5" clearance. As found there was no clearance in the on position. Not sure if this will allow the pto to disengage, haven't tried it yet. The pto lever has been slamming the cover for a long time and has bent down the front edge of the lever slot on the cover panel. So is this normal for the lever to fly ahead when engaging? Is the clearance set after taking the slop out after moving to the on position. Do you have to remove the rear fender to take the cover plate off?

Advise
Thanks