Gravely 20G PTO back to square one

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one #1  

bigcontender

Tractor
Gravely 424, 20G
OK I've set the clearance on the PTO lever @ 0.5" and the PTO will not disengage. With the tractor running I held a fireplace poker against the PTO and it will not stop. With the tractor off I got on the pto shaft with a 8" pair of pliers and I could not turn it. I did notice the PTO lever on top of the transmission does not move very far when I move the pto lever from off to on. It maybee moves 1/4" or so. I couldn't get a dial indicator on it to get a accurated reading.

So short of tearing it apart is there anything else i can try?

Thanks

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one #2  
There isn't a lot of movement of the PTO arm at the transmission. It is about 1/4" or less.

Try running it for 1/2 hour of so with a heavy load on the PTO while the lever is in the disengaged position. Also try reducing the free play to 1/4"

Some tractors have the pto engaged position forward and some have the PTO engaged position at the rear. Which do you have? Was the free play measured when the PTO is in the engaged (mower spinning) position?

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one
The PTO is engaged in the forward (away from seat) position. Free play was checked and adjusted with the lever in the engaged / forward position. The forward position of the cover plate on the pto lever was deformed from the pto lever slamming into it. I removed the cover used a combination square to mark the forward position of the other 2 shift levers on the pto slot. I then adjusted the pto engaged position with the slop out to this mark less 0.5"
I will try installing the snowblower and running it for 1/2 hour. I'll have to mount the blower then pull the tractor out of my garage before starting it. I really don't want to start it with the blower on and pto stuck on in the garage.
Thanks

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one #4  
I have been told that overfill the the transmission by a quart may help by virtue that the clutch will have more oil thrown on it. I have one tractor that has a stuck PTO clutch. I have tried everything to break it free. So far I have had no luck at all. I will disassemble the transmission when the weather breaks.

Last night I mounted the snow blower and blew snow back from the edge of my driveway for 45 minutes or so with the clutch lever in the off position. Got it a couple of large snow banks and the goveror kicked a few times. Man it will blow snow, tracton is poor, had to get out a come along and pull it out once. It was on a slight down grade and some ice. I've got 150# of wheel weights on looks llike I need more weight and may look for better tires. Anyways the clutch is still stuck so Ib be intrested in what you find in the transmission.
Thanks

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one #6  
If you don't have chains, get some. The more expensive the chains, the better they work. Chains makes a big difference. Having said that, any tractor can get stuck and seemingly rather easily if conditions are just right.

Keep working it with the PTO off. It may yet break free.

If you are due for a transmission oil change, add 1-2 quarts of ATF to the transmission and run it. That may help break it free. The reason adding more oil may help is due to the fact that the PTO clutch is near the top of the transmission case. ATF is a 5 wt oil.

ATF in the transmission won't hurt anything. ATF is used in the Gravely 9000/GMT tractor transmission and there is no difference in the 800/8000/G transmission and the GMT transmission.

If it won't break free after an hour of running under a heavy load, it may require a tear down. I am going to try breaking mine free by removing the engine and poking a bar in there and giving the clutch a rap with a aluminum bar and a hammer.

Yup it has chains on it like new bar type. I added a 100 lbs to the rear this morning along with the 150 lbs that was on the wheels it may make a it better.

Thanks for the tip on the atf I will try that when I get back from vacation.

Let me know how raping the clutch with a bar works. I didn't realize you could reach it with the motor off.

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one #8  
I think I can reach it with the motor off. I will update this thread when I try it.

I added a 3/4 quart of oil to the transmission to bring it up to normal. The next time I started the tractor the PTO was off. It's working as it should now. Wow what a relief.

Thanks for the help.

/ Gravely 20G PTO back to square one #10  
Don't leave the tractor parked with the PTO on is the moral of that story.