Tractor
    TYM 273 & Gravely ZT XL 42

Question Put down money on a Gravely ZT XL 42

Took the leap today. Found one that they were willing to part with, brand new 2012 model, for $3399 plus tax.
    I think it is a decent deal, am I stealing it or getting taken for a ride?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Default Re: Put down money on a Gravely ZT XL 42

Congratulations.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020

Congratulations on your new mower! Didn't know how to answer your question, but was curious so I did a quick search. Here is first ad I saw with prices - would seem you did pretty darn good!!

Gravely ZT XL & Zero Turn Mowers at COASTAL EQUIPMENT in JACKSONVILLE, FL 32209

Tractor
    2012 Gravely Pro Turn 152

Quote Originally Posted by Rippen21 View Post
    Took the leap today. Found one that they were willing to part with, brand new 2012 model, for $3399 plus tax.
    I think it is a decent deal, am I stealing it or getting taken for a ride?
    Rippen21,
    I'm not certain whether the XL models had a 2013 price increase or not. The Pro-Turn XDZ 152 that I bought last fall(also a 2012 model) went up $300 this year from the MSRP for 2012(but not all models had a price increase). The XL model shows $3999, so if it "didn't" have a price increase you probably could have talked them into taking $3299 plus tax. If it had a $100-$200 price increase for 2013 you made out pretty good. Regardless, I love my new Gravely(only 5.4 hours on it the few times I mowed in late fall) and I've never looked back(I looked at a "bunch" of ZTR's before settling on the Gravely). I think that you too will be quite pleased with the quality of that mower for the money you spent!!!!

P.S.
    Ooopss...just noticed your original post was in June, 2012(before the 2013's came out). You probably could have gotten another $100 knocked off that but you still did good!

Tractor
    TYM 273 & Gravely ZT XL 42

djdicetn,
    I joined in June of 2012, but my post was on the 28th of Feb. are you aware of actual dealer costs? How do you know the prices so well?
    I am looking forward to picking it up and cutting some grass. That will be a little while, as I just plowed 6" of fresh snow off the driveway in the last 24 hours. I have heard few few bad things about Gravely products, and with the 3 year warranty, I am pretty confident I will know long before it is up if I have a quality product or not.
    Thanks for the responses.

Tractor
    2012 Gravely Pro Turn 152

Rippen21,

My bad for looking at your join date, instead of the forum posting date. No, I'm not privvy to "dealer costs", I just know that there is a fairly significant markup to obtain the MSRP that shows on the dealer's "Gravely webpage" like in the link user Golfaddict provided. One of the reasons I purchased my ZTR in September, 2012 was that it was the end of the mowing season and just before the 2013 models came out. Any 2012 models the dealer had were most likely candidates for a "best deal" to get them out the door and make room for delivery of the new 2013 models stock. The Pro-Turn 152 I purchased had a "Gravely dealer webpage" MSRP of $7199. When you add the tax to that amount, it comes to $7,782.93 out-the-door. The dealer already had that mower marked down to $7,100(out-the-door, with a 0% Interest financing available). That in and of itself was a "fair" price" similar to your deal, but I figured that mower dealers are just like car dealers so I made the dealer a counter-offer of $6,800 OTD(cash price). The Sales Manager accepted my counter offer "without hesitation", which kind of confirms the advice I gave earlier(most dealers will go down a little from their initial price to get a "last year's model" out of their stock). As a follow-up to some questions posted by another user about 2013 Gravely's I went back to a dealer's website and noticed that the Pro-Turn 152 for 2013 had a $7499 MSRP(up $300 from the 2012). So basically, I saved $1,303.93 off the 2013 MSRP price(plus taxes) for my mower.
    I did a LOT(about 2 months) of research & comparisons of several brands of ZTR's(including, Bad Boy, Dixon, Hustler & Toro) and made other dealers counter-offers on 4 other ZTR's. But dollars-and-quality made the Gravely my overall favorite and I was very pleased when the dealer accepted my offer. I don't know where you have gotten information with negative implications of the quality of Gravely products, but Gravely has been making farm equipment since 1916 and was just purchased in the last couple of years by Ariens Company(another VERY reputable small engine equipment manufacturer). In my honest opinion, you would have been hard-pressed to find another ZTR for $3,399 plus tax that had the same quality and warranty you have with your Gravely. Like I said earlier, it would have been nice if you could have upgraded to the ZT HD which adds a LOT of features and commercial-quality components(like the cast-iron spindles, chain-hung deck, etc.) and comes with a "Commercial Warranty" which always indicates extreme durability. But the HD only comes in a 44" and it's MSRP is $900 more that the 2013 XL. I do not think you will be the least bit unhappy with your purchase and if you take care of it and keep up on the maintenance it will serve you well for many, many years!!! And saving $600 you did good!!