Arien Tractor .. will not move ..?

/ Arien Tractor .. will not move ..? #1  

bretonlion

Tractor
Kubota T1400
Hello,
I collect Ariens .. I have five .. yes I am a bit daft ..
I am slowly restoring them .. most have Kohler engines .. so that is no problem ..
The problem is the wheel drive .. I have no drive at all on my GT16, even though the oil pump is working ..
I have drive, but it is not constant on my GT18 .. I have to push the gear lever in and out of gear to make it move ..
Hopefully there is some-one reading this who can help ..
Thanks
Rgds
Chris
ps .. I live in Brittany France .. so spares are bit hard to get ...

/ Arien Tractor .. will not move ..? #2  
Flip up the Seat pan and make sure the releif valve is not set for pushing or towing the unit.

/ Arien Tractor .. will not move ..? #3  
Hi! First look for the relief valve. The best for you look for a good Shop Manual at MTD dealer. May be air in the system. May be bad oil or bad oil filter. I know better Cub Cadet. I have some friend in Bretagne near Gourin Good luck Oldmech

/ Arien Tractor .. will not move ..? #4  
Hello,
I collect Ariens .. I have five .. yes I am a bit daft ..
I am slowly restoring them .. most have Kohler engines .. so that is no problem ..
The problem is the wheel drive .. I have no drive at all on my GT16, even though the oil pump is working ..
I have drive, but it is not constant on my GT18 .. I have to push the gear lever in and out of gear to make it move ..
Hopefully there is some-one reading this who can help ..
Thanks
Rgds
Chris
ps .. I live in Brittany France .. so spares are bit hard to get ...

There is a bolt on the drive shaft , I think behind the transmission fan. Not the coupler at the engine. I have sheared this bolt a couple of times, simple repair.

/ Arien Tractor .. will not move ..?
Hi,
Thanks for all the help, please keep the help coming, as I need it ..
Has anyone any idea about my other problematic Arien, a GT18 which also has a drive problem .. put into drive and it "surges" then stops moving, put out then into drive and it moves again then stops, it will not drive continually .. .. oil is topped up and engine runs Ok .. any ideas why ..?
Rgds
Chris

Hello,
Due to health problems I am just getting around to fixing this drive problem .. I have downloaded the manuals as specified .. found the part where it says check the free wheeling valves .. looked in the manual .. but .. I cannot find them on the diagrams .. no mention on them anywhere .. if some one has a diagram where they are ..or can please tell me .. email me please ..chrislockyer@rocketmail.com ..
Thanks
Rgds
Chris

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply .. I have found the page and will see if that is the problem ..
Thanks again
Rgds
Chris

Hello,
Thanks to the diagram I found the "switch" .. I thought it was a fuel tank bracket ..daft me .. !!
I have now got reverse but no forward motion ... any ideas what may be wrong ..??
Hydraulics are Ok .. really good front and rear .. rear Pto is Ok .. bit noisy though ..?
Front pto is not working though .. could it be a wiring problem ..?
Thanks again ..
Rgds
Chris