I got my Gravely home today

/ I got my Gravely home today #1  

Tman43

Tractor
Gravely super convertible
When I bought it I knew it wasn't running. The engine turned freely when I tried to start it with the electric start but it wouldn't fire up. I went thru and cleaned up the connections, both positive and ground and from the starter to the foot switch and back to the battery. The starter was much more lively but it still wouldn't start, just a few backfires. My next step is to reset the points. I took the cover off the WICO to check them out. First off getting the cover off the WICO is fairly difficult. Especially those two lower screws. I was just curious if anyone could give me some pointers on dealing with this part of the machine?

/ I got my Gravely home today #2  
There are two bolts that hold the magneto to the transmission. Remove them and the magneto lifts off. Just make a note of the magnetos position. It might be helpful to line up the timing marks before removal.

/ I got my Gravely home today #3  
There are two bolts that hold the magneto to the transmission. Remove them and the magneto lifts off. Just make a note of the magnetos position. It might be helpful to line up the timing marks before removal. Once the magneto is off, it is easy to service.

/ I got my Gravely home today #4  
Hi! For magneto Clean or remove all carbon on contacts Must be bright adjust to .015
If you remove magneto You must adjust the timing
For timing. First crank by hands until you feel compression. Remove the spark plug and check for piston to top dead center.Hold magneto shaft with Vise-Grip pliers. Rotate magneto impulse(inoperative) until timing marks Line on coupling and dot on magneto line up with top dead center piston. Lock coupling nut. I buy 3 Gravely All were not working. Very few new mechanic man can makes good timing. With magneto. Engine start 1/4 turn. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ I got my Gravely home today
I removed the magneto. I cleaned and reset the points to 015. I replaced the magneto and started to work on the timing. I had everything lined up except the coupling was upside down - lol. I couldn't tighten it because the lock nut was underneath. I ran out of time yesterday so I will work on that today. Stupid mistake on my part. But I have two questions. First when I set the points for 015 and turn the magneto I notice that the points never fully close. Is this the way it is supposed to be or is my adjustment off. It appears as though the points are adjustable from both screw holes. Should the points fully close?
My next question is, that the book says to move pistion to TDC, then lower one inch by turning counter clockwise and then finally raising piston to 3/8 in below TDC, then aligning the magneto timing marks and tightening lock nut on coupling nut. But you said to set timing mark to align with TDC. So I guess my question is which one is correct procedure?
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

/ I got my Gravely home today #6  
HI ! For magneto turn magneto cam for maximum open you adjust .015 you turn half turn cam breaker must close (if not no spark)
For timing They are two methods You have the first You need to remove the head. I use the method no 2. I dont remove the head. No 1 With this way you go at TDC and you reverse and measure 3/8 in piston before TDC for advance timing and you align coupling line with line on magneto face plate.
No 2 On magneto face plate they are one line and a DOT. You use line for no 1 method and the dot with method no 2. So with no2 you align coupling line with dot on magneto face plate for advance timing I repeat You turn engine by hand until you feel compression. You remove spark plug and you watch for TDC I use a copper wire. You block the cam shaft and you align line on coupling with Dot on magneto face plate.
Good luck! Oldmech

Thanks! I removed the head, Story below. Brought piston to TDC, backed it down 1 inch by turning crank counter clockwise and the brought it back to 3/8 inch below TDC. I lines up the lines. Tightened down coupling lock nut. Replaced the head. Connected the spark plug wire. Pulled the choke and gave it a kick. She fired right up. SUCCESS!
I was really praying that was all it was. I really didn't want to get into a carb rebuild right away.
I had to take the head off because I was trying to clean it up. I had no idea how long it had been sitting. I had pulled the plug and was spraying som carb cleaner into the spark plug hole. The little straw on the carb cleaner flew off and down the hole. I spent about an hour trying to fish it out and finally gave up and pulled the head. Not quite the job I had expected.

/ I got my Gravely home today #8  
HI ! For magneto turn magneto cam for maximum open you adjust .015 you turn half turn cam breaker must close (if not no spark)
For timing They are two methods You have the first You need to remove the head. I use the method no 2. I dont remove the head. No 1 With this way you go at TDC and you reverse and measure 3/8 in piston before TDC for advance timing and you align coupling line with line on magneto face plate.
No 2 On magneto face plate they are one line and a DOT. You use line for no 1 method and the dot with method no 2. So with no2 you align coupling line with dot on magneto face plate for advance timing I repeat You turn engine by hand until you feel compression. You remove spark plug and you watch for TDC I use a copper wire. You block the cam shaft and you align line on coupling with Dot on magneto face plate.
Good luck! Oldmech

Having it 3/8 before TDC gives better efficiency. Best to have the spark come, and the gases beginning to expand as it hits TDC, so one gets maximum downforce from the cycle. If it is timed to exactly TDC, piston is already going down, before gases expand to "help" it travel.

Hope this makes sense. I may need more caffeine!

Having it 3/8 before TDC gives better efficiency. Best to have the spark come, and the gases beginning to expand as it hits TDC, so one gets maximum downforce from the cycle. If it is timed to exactly TDC, piston is already going down, before gases expand to "help" it travel.

Hope this makes sense. I may need more caffeine!

Absolutely. The Gravely is such a simple machine. I read the manual before I ever bought it. It seemed simple enough, but it was kind of hard to imagine without having the actual thing in front of me. As I worked my way thru the various components it started to become much clearer.