snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12

/ snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12 #1  

washita

Silver Member
Tractor
pt 425, JI Case, Gravely Comm.10A
does it make a difference how far in front of machine the snowplow blade is mounted? getting ready to mount/mate a cub cadet snowplow blade (42'') to the Gravely, or any other things to keep in mind when building the mount for the blade

/ snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12 #2  
I think its best to keep the blade as close as possible to eliminate as much leverage on the machine, get it to far out and it will be a bear to operate. Gravely used a heavy blade on the walkers, its 48 wide and 1/4 thick steel (read farkin HEAVY) and thats to keep it down on the ground using an L model, you want to put a tin blade on a 12 Kohler (Kohler machines usually had an additional weight bolted between the plow and hitch for even more counter weight),,,,, get some weight on the blade to offset the Kohler engine or you will be walking and lifting the handlebars (uncomfortable) to keep the plow on the ground. Gravely walker blades seem to approach the snow at a different angle than most blades I have used, the blade itself has a sharper arc and its positioned sort of to get under and roll the snow rather than the more common flatter arc of a normal 4 wheel tractor blade. Save yourself the time and work and just get the right blade I think you will be much happier, they usually can be had for a hundy or less. Im not saying your idea wont work, it will but I think you will find the right blade will have more capacity and just plain work better.

/ snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12 #3  
Just curious as to why you are going to the trouble of trying to make a Cub Cadet blade work with the Gravely? (Besides the satisfaction of "I made this") I'm not too far from you and can usually find Gravely blades for $75 to $100. Check E-Bay and CraigsList to see what you can find.

I have a Gravely 5465 which is the 10 HP model of your Commercial 12. Even with that heavy Gravely blade up front, it's still pretty light in the front end when plowing. I generally keep a little "up pressure" on the handles when plowing snow. Also, if you don't already have them, you are probably going to want to find a set of chains for your tractor. You will probably be OK when just clearing the snow, but if you're trying to push the snow into a pile of any size the chains are going to be a big help.

Also, for what it's worth, I never had much luck plowing snow with the blade angled. It seemed like the snow just wanted to push the front of the tractor over to the side. I also never got good "clearing action" with the blade angled. Instead I kept the blade straight and just pushed the snow as much as possible and then came back and cleaned up the "wind rows" the first pass left.

Be careful with that rig once you get it set up! You might become the most popular guy in the neighborhood! One year we got about 10-12" of snow. Once it stopped I went out to clear the driveway. Once done with mine I cleared the driveways of the elderly people next door and across the street. And then while doing that, another neighbor was kind of watching me while they were trying to clear their driveway with a shovel. So their driveway was next. That pattern continued until I had cleared about 8 driveways!! Then, I tried to get out of the neighborhood in my pickup and got stuck on the road. So I walked back home, got the Gravely, cleared the snow on the ROAD leading up the hill out of the neighborhood and was able to be on my way.

/ snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12
the plan for the gravely is to make the winter with the tired/worn-out kohler then either repower with a new kohler ($800) or honda clone with adaptor kit, already popular with neighbors for snowplowing (4wd articulating tractor) good point on running blade straight instead of angled I have noticed side slip with the tractor but I have no experience plowing with a two-wheel tractor

/ snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12 #5  
Is the Kohler rebuildable? That might be a cheaper alternative to a new Kohler. Or, look around for a used Kohler in good shape that might work. Remember - CraigsList is your friend! :)

I think that the Honda clone is going to be quite a bit lighter than the Kohler so just be aware that your front end might be "heavier" if you go that route.

I'm not saying not to go with the Honda clone. I'm actually considering buying an old "L" model (with the actual Gravely engine) and repowering it with a Honda or some other alternative. I actually stumbled on a one cylinder diesel engine on Amazon for $600-800 depending on HP. I think that would be pretty cool to do. But I have a lot of other projects around the property to tend to first!!

It sounds like you're a fairly new Gravely owner. I think you'll find it to be a great little tractor capable of doing a lot of different stuff. I watched my grandfather use his in WV while I was growing up. I bought my first one (1 1960 Model-L I think) while I was in college and made money with it mowing and plowing gardens. I now have a 5465 (10hp Kohler) and I'm amazed at what that thing will do. It will work you to death but it will work!! Have fun with yours!!

/ snowplow mounting on gravely comm.12 #6  
My Professional 16 (Kohler) handled Pennsylvania snow for many years with either a Gravely blade (with two factory gravely blade weights) or a 32" QH snowblower, depending on what flavor of snow it was (wet or fluffy). I kinda miss snow duty, just a little bit.

I grew up using a 1972 C8 with a plow. Without any blade weight, it was a perfect machine for snow removal.