Gravely 20G drives only right wheel

/ Gravely 20G drives only right wheel #1  

bigcontender

Tractor
Gravely 424, 20G
I got stuck twice blowing snow during the last storm (9") snow. I noticed only the right rear wheel spins, is this normal?

I bought new ag tires and went 400 lbs of rear weight this year and still got stuck.

Advise?

/ Gravely 20G drives only right wheel #2  
Not sure if this applies but my snowblower has a lock/unlock pin on one wheel. Locked it drives better. Unlocked it turns easier.

/ Gravely 20G drives only right wheel #3  
My father has a 20G. I've used it a few times. I'm a walkbehind Gravely guy, so my knowledge about the riders is limited.

But my father runs his with wheel weights and chains. It's never gotten stuck to my knowledge.

I saw this limited-slip differential for sale on eBay a few months ago for the Gravely riders:

RARE Gravely Rider Factory Limited Slip Differential for 800 8000 G Series | eBay

Factory limited slip differential from a Gravely 800 series rider. Works great. All gears and components are in excellent shape. No cracks and very little wear. Will fit all 800, 8000 and G series tractors. I have one in my Professional G and it really helps with traction and is a lot stronger than the standard open-end differential. Free shipping. Very good value at this price, with free shipping to the lower 48 states. Selling as-is.

Some further digging told me that Gravely only made these for one year on the old 800 series tractors back in the early 70's.

/ Gravely 20G drives only right wheel #4  
One wheel spinning is indeed normal.

The Gravely limited slip diff is not recommended. It is an inferior design compared to the regular diffs as it breaks easily.

/ Gravely 20G drives only right wheel #5  
One wheel spinning is normal. Have you tried applying the brakes to get the other wheel to spin? This sometimes works.

Ralph

/ Gravely 20G drives only right wheel
I never thought of using the brake, I will try this if there is a next time.
It may have been getting hung up on my weight rack. I had mounted 4 -40 lb window weights on a kindorf rack under the motor. This rack took up a lot of the rear ground clearance I have sence moved the weights to a vertical mount on the motor guard. I still have 4 18lb wheel weights that I want to bolt to the foot boards to get some additional weight on the front wheels, hoping it will steer better with the blower down. Hope these changes helps.
Also nice to know this is normal, thought I had a differential problem.
Thanks for the tips.