Gravely 48" snowblower bolt

/ Gravely 48" snowblower bolt #1  

bigcontender

Tractor
Gravely 424, 20G
I picked up a rock and sheared the bolt that is next to the clutch on my G20's 48" snow blower.

I replaced it with a standard 5/16 -18 x 2 1/2 bolt. I called Richards to make sure I wasn't putting the wrong bolt in vs a shear pin. Richards teck said no a standard bolt will work the spec is for a grade 5 bolt.

So then Sunday I picked up a rock on the edge of my drive way and sheared the 2nd bolt. I struggled to put another bolt in then decided to stop and

go get grade 5 bolts as it's a pain to replace this bolt. The clutch flange interfers with removing the bolt head.

I went to home depot picked up 5/16 -18 grade 5 bolts and put the new bolt in.

My questions are: is there an easy way to replace this bolt. I couldn't get the standard bolt out without taking the clutch apart (all 15 bolts).

If I'm shearing the bolts so easily what is the proper way to set the clutch? Manual stetting is to fully compress the springs then back off 1 full turn.

Seems kind of vague.

Any thoughts
Thanks

/ Gravely 48" snowblower bolt #2  
Been through a couple of those myself seems like one a year or so. If you can find them allen head capscrews go in a little easier. I have also ground part of the head off on the bench grinder. That way I only have to take out 1 or 2 of the clutch bolts.

/ Gravely 48" snowblower bolt
I'll be looking for allen head capscrews. Also I will try the grinding part of the head off trick.

Bet you have got a lot of use for you're snow-blower in NH this winter. It's been quite a winter in New York

Thanks