gravely L8 rebuild or repower

/ gravely L8 rebuild or repower #1  

nate in pa

Tractor
gravely l8
Growing up I used my dads 5660 to snow blow and mow. I have been hooked on Gravely ever since! I just picked up a 71 or 72 L8. It has a snow blower, plow , sulky, and 30'' mower. Should I rebuild or repower it. I read a lot on repowering it. What to do? Can I buy (bolt on) parts to repower this? Where at? Any motor recommendations? Please HELP!!!

/ gravely L8 rebuild or repower #2  
Get ahold of Richards Gravely in WV. I think the website is RichardsGravely.com. Im sure he can point you in the direction of a guy that makes adaptor plates to put a more conventional engine in place of the old integrated Gravely engine.
Sorry I am not more help. I am on my tablet and not my PC otherwise I would look up some stuff for you.

/ gravely L8 rebuild or repower
Thanks I will check it out now. Let you know how I make out

/ gravely L8 rebuild or repower #4  
Amazing how much easier it is to look stuff up when I'm at a real keyboard instead of tapping on a little screen!! :laughing:

Here's the "adaptor plate" that I was thinking of. The contact info is at the bottom of the web page. There are actually 2 plates - one of them is made by Gravely to allow you to mate a Kohler engine to your old L8. This is apparently what they used when they first made the switch from their own engines. Then there's the adapter plate to allow you to mate something other than a Kohler to that plate. The guy in the article used a Honda knockoff engine like you can get from Harbor Freight.

If you go this route, be sure to post your progress on this. I'm interested in seeing how it works out. I have a Gravely 5465 with a 10 HP Kohler on it but I wouldn't mind getting an old L8 and doing the re-power thing on it. But, right now that is kind of low on my list. Waaaay too many other things on my honey-do list!!

/ gravely L8 rebuild or repower #6  
Hey Gravelymay - I haven't read through the whole thread you linked to above, but... Are you the "Bruce" that makes the adapter plate that is mentioned in the link that I posted to above? Do you still make that plate?

Gravely L8 hard start

I just had time to try to get the gravely motor to start. I put in a new battery, fresh gas , checked the points. It will crank with no spark then make a loud crack or snap then get spark for a revolution or two then nothing until it makes the sound again. I think the sound is coming from the magneto area. :confused:

After some tinkering I found that the magneto is not catching to give it spark on every revelution. I think I will put a repower on the top of the list for my Gravely. To replace the magneto is half the cost of a new motor, not including the adapters. Any advice or opinions are welcome. Pictures to come as I progress.

/ gravely L8 rebuild or repower #9  
Have you looked on the web for a used magneto? Contact Richard's Lawn & Garden to see if he has anything. Also, there is a guy named "Gravely Pete" on e-Bay that might have one (or ten! :) ). That could at least get you going until you do your repower.

And, when you do the repower, make sure you post about it here so we can all follow the progress!!

I took the magneto apart and got it working. I installed it on the motor and it fired right up! :thumbsup:
I still want to repower it. Just wanted to know that it ran before taking it apart. I was wondering what the value of the motor is? Is it worth trying to sell or should I scrap it? The carb may need adjusting, but it had good oil pressure and sounded good. Hopping to off set some of the repower cost.

phone 162.jpgphone 164.jpgphone 165.jpgphone 163.jpg