gearbox oil?

/ gearbox oil? #1  

Den1952

Bronze Member
Tractor
InternationalHarvestor tlh
I have an older gravely, the engine was past being able to rebuild and I got a fresh 8 hp kohler for it.
I had enough trouble mounting the engine to the gearbox but finally did get it on by using a floor jack to hold up the engine.
I hadn't been able to use it til now, and am wondering what type of oil to use in the gearbox. I did put one gallon of 80-90 in it. and found it had a bad leak where the engine couples up. I didn't have an original gasket for it so I made one out of a rubbery type of material. should I have used a tube of gasket maker (comes in a tube like a toothpaste. instead? I am wondering if I can properly apply the gasket maker paste with only pulling the engine about 1/4" from the gear box?
good news for the "field test" though, I used the brush cutter up front for mowing a weeded over area inside the pines. it worked great! didn't take me too long to figure out the 3 or 4 different controls for it. low range was much more comfortable to work with, plenty fast for walking. high range must be a road gear or for a sulky traveling on a lawn?

/ gearbox oil? #2  
If you're talking about the "gearbox" being the main transmission housing, get that 80-90 out of it ASAP!!!

I run SAE-30 in mine. That's what they were designed for in the old days when the transmission shared the same oil with the engine. I did see someone else on here (I think) that was running 10W-30 in his.

I do run 80-90 in the gearbox on my mower head, rotary plow, etc.

/ gearbox oil?
thanks for the reply. today i did a search for gravely manuals and found this site.
Gravely Tractor Club - Gravely Manuals
i hope this link works in this post,,,
i would suppose most of the gravely owners here have already found all the sources for manuals etc
but here it is again.