Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff

/ Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
I've been browsing this forum and have about decided on a Kubota BX1800 to replace or augment my Gravely 5665. Initially I think I'll get the hydraulic front plow and 60" MMM.

Following is the equipment I have with my Gravely that I'd like comments on regarding how well some similar equipment for the BX1800 will do:

o Bush hog - I maintain about 3 miles of trails across mine and 4 neighbors' properties by doing roundtrips with my 30" bush hog on the Gravely to get 60" wide trails. They're level enough to where the 60" MMM is probably a good choice vs. maybe too much weight in a 3 pt bush hog. Later on, I'll probably get a 48" hog for the Kubota.
o 48" snow plow - Switching between the snow plow and the snow thrower on the Gravely is a royal pain. So, for the winter having the Kubota do most of the snow removal with a plow with the Gravely standing by with its snow thrower (awesome machine) is fine. Later on, I'll maybe replace the Gravely by adding a front snow thrower (don't like backing up to do it at my age, 61).
o Rotary plow - need some comments on use of a single plow or single disk on the 3 pt to replace the rotary plow (4 sheave driven by the front PTO) on the Gravely for doing mounded rows in my veggie garden.
o Cart - can use this on the Kubota drawbar with a 1 1/2" ball.
o MacKissic shredder - only use this about once/year. Generally prefer to use my old Troy Bilt Tomahawk, as it has a chipper vs. no chipper on the MacKissic off PTO of Gravely, which is generally only used between switches from bushhog to snow plow in the late fall. Longer range, will replace both with a 3 pt chipper/shredder off the Kubota PTO.

I do my approx. 1/2 acre or so of lawn with my LawnBoy usually. Can do it with the Gravely, but I prefer walking it nude behind my LawnBoy. Longer range, will probably trim around stuff with my DR rechargeable and do with the Kubota MMM.

/ Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #2  
Ralph,

First off, welcome aboard!!! I have the BX1800 w/FEL, 60MMM, and a single bottom plow.

I am not familiar with your Gravely, so cannot directly compare for you, but I will share what I can. My frame of reference is that I had a Cub 1811 that my BX1800 replaced, and I have used my fathers JD425, JD318 over the years as well.

The BX1800 is a great tractor with plenty of HP and I am very pleased with mine. I use a single bottom plow to plow my garden, and the BX just purrs through it like butter. When I used to use the Cub (18HP Hydro 2wd 140lbs wheel weights with chains) I had to get started and go quite fast to not get stuck. Inevitably I would still get stuck once or twice and have to dig it out.

The BX just purred through the job with no problem in 4x4 turf tires no chains and only 140 lbs wheel weights. (Picture attached) Our soil here is quite rocky so as my wife says our garden grows rocks the best /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The mower cuts great, but I only cut lawns with mine, no trails, so I cannot comment there.

I was originally looking for a front blade when I went searching, but every dealer steered me toward the FEL as the cost was not much different (for hydraulically angled at least). So I ended up getting the FEL, not really sure if I would use it much, but now I wouldn't trade it for the world and am glad the dealers steered me that way. I moved a lot of rock, and dirt this past year. Now I am moving snow. I decided to try it to see if I would like it for snow before buying a back blade or something similar. It worked great for me!! Now keep in mind my driveway is only about 70' long and 30' wide so that may make a difference, but 12" of snow was not problem!!!

I think you would be very pleased if you went this route. Of course you will have many also say consider the BX2200 and I would agree, but for me the extra $1000 wasn't in the cards as the CFO had already approved my change order for $3,000 more than my initial Appropriation Request /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with whatever you choose,

Attachments

• 352254-P6020029.JPG
    352254-P6020029.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 309
   / Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #3  
Heres one of our Garden as well.

Attachments

• 352255-P6020030.JPG
    352255-P6020030.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 333
   / Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #4  
Surfran,

Nice looking tractor and nice looking garden too!

I thought the price difference between the BX1800 and BX2200 was about $500 when I bought my BX2200 last summer...but I guess I could be wrong.

The MMM is pretty expensive compared to a 4' brush hog. If those trails are like a narrow, long yard that would be one thing. If not, it would probably be wiser to use the brush hog on them...

I'm trusting my memory here...but did the original poster say something about waking naked behind his mower? I am having trouble visualizing that...how about a picture? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #5  
Ralph, I have a BX2200 with a FEL and a 60 inch MMM. I had a Power King tractor that was similar to your Gravely. Although I have a high opinion of my old Power King the BX2200 is much more capable. I started out planning to buy a front blade instead of a FEL and TBNers talked me into getting a FEL instead. That has proved to be excellent advice. The FEL is the most used implement that I own. My advice is to get a FEL and buy a front blade later if you still think you need one. My guess is that you will decide that you don't need one especially if you hang onto to your Gravely.

I also have a Tomahawk chipper shredder (with a Sears logo) that I use off of my 3PH Carryall platform (see picture). Sometimes I pull the chipper off the carryall and use it standalone but most of the time I leave it on the carryall. The Carryall cost about $80 at TSC and is another handy implement to own.

You will love the BX1800!

John

Attachments

• 352284-Carryall with chipper.jpg
    352284-Carryall with chipper.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 306
   / Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #6  
Here is another picture of the carryall and FEL in action hauling firewood.

Attachments

• 352292-Keith hauling firewood.jpg
    352292-Keith hauling firewood.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 324
   / Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #7  
Hi Ralph,

If you want a little comparison thrown in the mix, you might want to give the MF GC2300 a look. Massey has a website comparison of the 2300 with JD 2210 and Kub 2200. I like my Massey, but it's my first tractor. Plenty of power so far; done everything I've asked without a problem. Mostly I've used it for mowing, some drainage work, and some snow removal with FEL and backblade (though looks like we might be blowing tomorrow).

On the complaint side, I really have only three so far. The fill for the fuel tank is very small; makes it awkward to fill from a 5 gal. can. Also, I find the location of the 3PH lever awkward for implements where proper depth is critical. With my height (5' 10") it ends up being in the crook of my right knee. Especially with Kub or MF's treddle peddle, it's a little aggravating. The other thing (this might be more important for your plow work) is that there is no true position control on the 3PH implements. It's not a real big deal for me, but it might be for your uses.

Good luck with your search!

/ Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #8  
You can count on me not to be tractor PC /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Your 2WD Gravely will not compare well with the BX. I recommend that you go for the BX2200 and the FEL. Why fool around with a front blade?? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The FEL is far more USEFUL than you can currently imagine--just ask anyone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The front blade will have comparably limited use, most of which can be equally accomplished with a much cheaper rear blade--ESPECIALLY when teamed up with the FEL there is NO comparison. Frankly, my opinion, why bother getting a BX if you do not get the FEL.
Look at the KK XB 48 inch brush cutter for the BX. Also, get the 60 inch MMM as well. Get a 48/54 inch light/med duty rear blade and your BX will be a formiddable piece of equipment, don't neauter it with a front blade. Also, no snow expert here admittidly, but I would get a cheaper rear blower as well rather than the higher dollar front unit unless you live where there is lot's of snow, in which case, get the front unit.
The Gravely is an interesting machine. I would not mind having one, a BX it is not. Good luck. J

/ Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff
Thanks, guys.

Guess I'm steering towards an FEL for snow and other stuff I can't do now, and 48 or 54" hog to spell my Gravely. Can try out the FEL for plowing. Would be handy to lift away the piles of snow between house and carriage house the Gravely plow wouldn't push.

Didn't mention that the one thing the Gravely has trouble with is climbing my back hill with cart attached to sulky. Can't lock the diff, and one wheel will generally spin somewhere. So, off the sulky and steer it up the hill with the power steering brake arm. It pitched me off once when I changed from hi to lo range and got into neutral before setting the hand brake. Almost ran over me, but jackknifed out of the way.

Will that one blade plow do raised rows? Have seen single disks that might be better for that. Anyone have one on the BX. The local dealer had them in stock.

Yes, I do everything nude on my property. No pics though. Ya gotta come over. Bring the girlfriend and/or wife.

Ralph

/ Comments wanted, to replace Gravely stuff #10  
Re: Thanks, guys.

"Yes, I do everything nude on my property. No pics though. Ya gotta come over. Bring the girlfriend and/or wife."

Hmmmm, somehow I get the feeling you are not kidding /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I think I will pass on the invite, thanks though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. J