Gravely 40" wing mower restoration

/ Gravely 40" wing mower restoration
Will they fit inside of a post office large flat rate box? Lots of tape and $25ish will get it delivered as long as it's under 70lbs.

Aaron Z

you were darn close Aaron, $32, and out they went yesterday. And I learned that Timken makes all/most of their bearings in Mexico now.
I hope I get old stock...before the price goes up. Actually I told them US/North American or Japanese bearings only, sell the Chinese stuff to someone else.

Got the spindles back from West VA, all rebuilt nicely, and then I had a problem getting the one splined pulley down on the shaft. Went about half way and then stopped, I tapped gently, got it stuck, had to pull it out with a gear puller, and now the bearing has slop in it, eight of an inch of vertical movement not there before. I'm going to fiddle with it a little more but I may have to send the whole spindle back with the pulley and let the pros do it. I have no experience with bearings, though this doesn't look that difficult.
And a good thing I am a long way from installing spindles as work continues on cleaning up the parts and now to start welding.

Using a non flammable solvent to clean that I wasn't sure was great leaving on the parts so I washed them all off with water, air blasted them dry, and then set them out in the sun. Some will
get flash rust so I've wiped a few pieces down with oil that won't get painted.

Need to get some additional flat steel for repairs. Off to Tractor Supply, though may have to go to welding supply place for what I want.

large rubber grommets for hanging frame no longer available, one piece, not top and bottom, and if I tried to pull the grommet through I'm sure I would have ripped it.
So....best solution I came up with was soaking the rubber three times in 303 to soften and preserve, and well, back you go.

Not looking forward to removing that excess metal, the part that ripped off the deck, from that one support. Lot of grinding. Wondering what else would take it off easier.

Attachments

• DSCN0333.JPG
    DSCN0333.JPG
    530.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0335.JPG
    DSCN0335.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN0336.JPG
    DSCN0336.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0337.JPG
    DSCN0337.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN0339.JPG
    DSCN0339.JPG
    504.7 KB · Views: 77
   / Gravely 40" wing mower restoration #23  
I just like to read about this kind of stuff. Enjoying the thread!

/ Gravely 40" wing mower restoration #24  
large rubber grommets for hanging frame no longer available, one piece, not top and bottom, and if I tried to pull the grommet through I'm sure I would have ripped it.
So....best solution I came up with was soaking the rubber three times in 303 to soften and preserve, and well, back you go.
Would it work to replace them with two piece mounts? It looks like there should be 2 piece mounts available that will fit (or are you waiting until they break to try that?)

Not looking forward to removing that excess metal, the part that ripped off the deck, from that one support. Lot of grinding. Wondering what else would take it off easier.
Look to see where it is welded on, you should only need to grind off the welds (and those should just be at the edge where the square tube meets the flat plate unless they did a plug weld from the bottom).

Aaron Z

Would it work to replace them with two piece mounts? It looks like there should be 2 piece mounts available that will fit (or are you waiting until they break to try that?)

Look to see where it is welded on, you should only need to grind off the welds (and those should just be at the edge where the square tube meets the flat plate unless they did a plug weld from the bottom).

Aaron Z

I got it, cut it off with the zip saw along the edges like a packing box. I'll try that., thanks.
I think I may have to get a full face shield, not happy with little bits of metal bouncing off my face.
I thought about using two rubber donut washers, but there is an internal bushing that if I don't leave rubber in there it will then
rattle around.. It is an odd custom rubber piece, no wonder they no longer stock it.
With the right supply of bushings, in the right material, I guess you could build anything back.

Think I might double up the new metal under where it ripped out though I'm already overlaying with steel heavier than the deck.
I hate to keep repeating myself but what is so odd is this little strut with a solid rubber tire on it (versus the other three larger support tires)
should have been the last thing to get ripped out, but then, thinking about it, there are no dents on the front of this mower. None. Hmmmm.
Was it up on a wall and fell off?...:D More likely then the whole front panel has been replaced. I remain mystified as to how someone wrecked this mower.
And a little mystery in life is just fine.

pms, thanks. These are actually very rare and since they are relatively simple machines, are within my ability to fix them.
I do refinishing and paintwork fairly well. Serious mechanical, not so well. And it it this project, first of two wing mowers, where I'm
learning how to weld for the first time. My next job is cutting the steel to fit, so many cracks on this deck it needs help in lots of places.

Am driven by a very strong restoration passion. Am fixing these things up so someone else can have a lifetime of use from them. Until
they turn off the gasoline supply. Gravely equipment is simply worth fixing because the riders were built to SCUT strength levels. Lots of iron,
a true heavy duty four speed gear transmission, which I would have no idea how to fix. I have had this 8199G for half its 30 year life, replaced the motor,
boy what an improvement a 23hp Vanguard made, but I've never touched the transmission other than to change the oil. It makes a very vocal gear noise, but it
always has...but I wonder if I should be doing something to the trans. Only 1100 hours on the unit though, which has led me to believe there probably hasn't been
a lot of accumulated wear. But I hear that whine and you just wonder...am I slowly destroying some bearing, like when your car brakes get down to the studs and start squealing?
Since mine has whined for 15 years, I'm probably ok...but always wondered if I should put some snake oil like Transmission Medic or whatever in it.

/ Gravely 40" wing mower restoration #26  
I got it, cut it off with the zip saw along the edges like a packing box. I'll try that., thanks.
I think I may have to get a full face shield, not happy with little bits of metal bouncing off my face..
I get you there, it's easier on the nose the next day too.

I thought about using two rubber donut washers, but there is an internal bushing that if I don't leave rubber in there it will then
rattle around.. It is an odd custom rubber piece, no wonder they no longer stock it.
With the right supply of bushings, in the right material, I guess you could build anything back.
The ones I saw had two pieces, one shaped like a mushroom and one shaped like a doughnut.
That way it holds against side loads.

Aaron Z

/ Gravely 40" wing mower restoration #27  
Since mine has whined for 15 years, I'm probably ok...but always wondered if I should put some snake oil like Transmission Medic or whatever in it.

I'm totally guessing (never had to work on any Gravely machines), but if those are straight-cut gears, it may have been like that since day one.

That noise would be on my mind too, but I'd say just keep it serviced with spec oil and you'll be fine. "Known" snake-oils (Trans Medic, Lucas.....) likely won't hurt, and possibly may quiet it a bit.

Rgds, D.

/ Gravely 40" wing mower restoration #28  
I've had Gravely riders for over 20 years. My first 816S was bought from Dad who bought it new. The engine (Onan 16.5hp) had already been rebuilt once. The transmission is very quiet. The second is also very quiet but the 3rd one has whining noise since we bought it (and it was worked on by Gravely authorized master. I am considering selling the whole lot (have a couple walk behinds also)... but have some attachment... was hoping to use the 3 to make one that had all the best parts and sell off the extras, but then they are great parts sources...

got some more parts cleaned up and a number of bad boys identified.
Just worn steel, and in the bushing's case, copper.

I know one can braze metal back on that is worn off
but that is far beyond my ability. The three parts at the top left in the first pic are the problems. One cure I suppose is to put a bushing over
it but neither are flatly worn, but have uneven humps. One of these is where the actual mower is held up; it's suspended from a frame above it, so it
makes sense that part would be really worn. No replacement part, long gone. So I need to fix what I have. I first thought of a very hard
but still slightly flexible rubber/plastic collar, something that would form fit over the dips and valleys but still be durable.

I need to make a run for more sheet metal but I'm ready to start cutting it to fit then.

Attachments

• DSCN0342.JPG
    DSCN0342.JPG
    532 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0344.JPG
    DSCN0344.JPG
    528.9 KB · Views: 109
quite an education on how hard hardened steel is. Oh my, my inexpensive but fairly well rated Black&Decker metal chop saw was absolutely worthless. I leaned on that handle for what seemed like half my life and it wasn't doing much below. Very surprised by this, I have another better quality 10 inch metal blade and I'm going to swap out the oem blade and see if that helps.
Ok, then I tried the 3 inch Ingersoll Rand air powered zip saw. Better, but still way too slow on this hardened metal. So I got out the 4.5 inch Dewalt corded tool and now we're talking. It took a while but the 7amp tool finally cut through. Just about used up the disc; going to Lowes this morning to buy more.

Not that I would know how to use one but now I understand the appeal of plasma cutters.

Attachments

• DSCN0351.JPG
    DSCN0351.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 77