Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered #1  

tbzep

Bronze Member
Tractor
1948 Farmall Cub, 1952 Ford 8N, 1962 Ford 861 (sold), 2015 Mahindra 3550, 2017 Gravely ZT HD 52
Bought my first ZTR today. I've looked at everything offered in my area including Grass Hopper, Husky, Dixie Chopper, Toro, Ariens, JD, Bad Boy, Cub Cadet, and probably a few others that have slipped my mind. I only mow a few acres, but wanted something tougher than the average residential with a stamped deck. The dealer is only 10 miles away and they are good folks, which played heavily on my decision, along with price, comfort, engine type, build quality, etc. I nearly bought the lower model XL but it was lacking in a few areas. I've only used/owned two riding mowers in my 51 years. The first half of my life it was a little green Murray - 5 hp Briggs rear engine with 25" cut about a 1970 model, which I started on as soon as I was physically big enough to operate. The the second half was a Craftsman (AYP) tractor style 15 horse Kohler 42" cut. My father before me (the little Murray) and I have replaced parts, welded decks, built up worn linkages, for decades. I'm tired of keeping it running. It's time for a new one.

I ran the Gravely for about 10 minutes after getting it home, mowing what little of the yard that wasn't too wet and soft from all the rain. It's a bullet! 8 mph gets you from point A to point B pretty dang fast. It only took me a minute or two to get used to steering it, but I did catch myself pushing a ghost clutch/brake a time or two. The grass hasn't come in good yet, but it whacked off the wild onions in short fashion.

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered #2  
Our church has the HD 48" , nice mower. If I get a zt, will probably be the same mower you got.

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered #3  
tbzep is your mower a 2017? I have been looking at the zt hd 60 and I can't find some of the specs such as length over all, wheel base, weight. Do you know what these are on your 52? I don't know if they are the same. lt190b

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered
Yes, it's a 2017.

Length 79"
Width 67"
Height 47"
Weight 850 lbs.
Front tires 13x6.5-6
Rear tires 22x10.5-12

I looked at a 2016 model at another store. His prices were higher and he charged for delivery (and was farther away) which canceled out the rebate. I didn't like the way the deck height pin inserted sideways under my knee. It was hard to sit on the mower and see where I was putting the pin. The 2017 pin inserts from the top and is easy to see and manipulate. On a purely asthetic note, I like the 2017's red frame with the Gravely name cut into the front plate better than the 2016's black frame with a decal slapped on. They had the same Kawasaki motor. It looked like the exact same deck, but the 2016 is hung with chain.

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered #5  
tbzep, thanks for your information. The 60 is a little different, I found out today at my local dealer. He let me bring a manual home with me, and a new mower with it. If you haven't registered yours yet, do it after 3/31/17. The warranty is extended in a new promotion.

Are you talking about the warranty being extended to 5 years? I got the talk from a couple of dealers that it only lasted until xxx date, but that was just sales talk to entice me to buy right then. When I looked at the mower, there was a sticker on it touting the 5 year warranty and the website shows it as standard 3 years parts and labor plus 2 more years on parts. It's also in the Ariens paperwork that came with it.

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered #7  
Got a kubota zt kommander offer yesterday for $5999. Looks interesting, but gravely HD was 1k less.

I think my Gravely was a decent deal. I've been looking at the 2016 ratings for OPE and Grasshopper is #1, but way more expensive for their cheapest 52" model. The dealer survey for product quality had Grasshopper leading, then Scag, Ferris, eXmark, and Gravely following, all within a couple hundredths of a point of each other. In fact, Grasshopper lead in all categories of the survey, but my local dealer demands MSRP+ prices, making the 126v 52" about $2000 higher than the Gravely 54" I purchased. There were other brands mixed in, but they either didn't have a ztr mid deck line or were heavy commercial grade only.

I can't decide if the Kawasaki motor is more thrifty than the Kohler 15 hp on my old Craftsman (AYP) 42", or if it's just that I get done mowing a lot quicker thanks to the extra deck width and greater mowing speed, but I've mowed three times now and have used less fuel than the old mower. I'm still happy with the purchase, and will continue to be if the mower proves to be reliable over the long haul.

/ Gravely ZT HD 52, Kawasaki powered #10  
My Grandma and Aunt bought the ZT HD 52, Kawasaki for their 3 acres of grass. Awesome mower. I go over there and use it to cut their grass all the time. Even when the grass gets 8" that mower goes right through it. You made a good purchase. I want one some kind of bad but already have a Z48 Gravely with a 19 hp Kawasaki. Bought that new in 2009. Have not had one bit of trouble with it.