Problems with my Gravely power take off

/ Problems with my Gravely power take off #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I was out plowing snow today with my Gravely 816T, but mine actually has a snow blower attached to the front instead of a blade. Everything was going good and all of a sudden I noticed that it was not throwing the snow like it should. Went back to the garage and hosed all the snow off of it and started playing with it. Putting the power take off in and out of gear. Everything seemed to be working fine. Went back out and it worked ok for about five minutes and then again it clogged up and would not throw the snow. Went back in and checked the gear box on the blower and it was ok. I could spin the pto shaft by hand when it was out of gear and it turned hard with a pipe wrench on the shaft when in gear. Figured this sounded right. Noticed that the pto shaft hand lever was hitting the metal plate that it slid in, the plate between my legs, where you put it in and out of gear, so I filed the slot further so the shaft would go further in the slot and adjusted the threaded rod to the tranny case where the pto shaft goes into it. So when it was out of gear it would come to a stop or barely turn. Back out plowing and once again it worked for about five minutes then it stopped again, only this time it locked up and will not turn at all. Is this pto engaged by some kind of clutch arrangement? Seeing how you can take it in and out of gear anytime leads me to believe it is. Anyone have any idea of what is going on with this pto problem? Sure could use some help on this one. Thanks in advance. RRM