Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hi group,

I have the opportunity to buy a Gravely tractor from the early 90s. I believe the model is just called an H-18. I just went to check it out, and it runs really well and everything. But, my questions:

Gravely tractors - are they junk? Good? Great?

This tractor has what I'll refer to as a stationary 3pt hitch. It does not move up and down, but there is a fourth bar that attaches up high and on the left that can be moved up and down with hydraulics. Is this normal? Would I be annoyed by this? I'm at work right now, so I can't look, but I can't picture where this 4th bar would attach to my rear grader blade that I currently use with my Wheel Horse. It seems like an odd design for a 3pt hitch, but I'm not all that versed in different 3pt hitch designs, so what do I know.

Thanks for any insight.

Ray at work

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #2  
Graveely's use to make some of the best lawn tractors you could buy. They only make ZTR's now. I'm not familiar with this style PTO though.

If the price is right I would snatch it up as they tend to last forever.

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches
Thanks AESANDERS. See attached. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 732412-gravely18H.jpg
    732412-gravely18H.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,579
   / Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #4  
Maybe it's just me... but... I don't see anything like a 3pt hitch? It is kinda hard to tell from the pic, but, it appears there is one attaching point at the top?

I will say that Gravely made some great units when they were still building them. Strong machines!

The case of beer behind the tractor is a nice touch! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches
I'm such a novice, it's awful. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yeah, there's no hitch. Merely hookup points for one, as you indicated, DmansPadge.

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #6  
Ray,

The tractor you are looking at is not a "real" Gravely. It is an Ariens that became Gravely branded when they merged several years ago. I now own a John Deere, and I bought my dad a 335 JD for Father's Day last year. Before that we only used Gravely's: we had two walk behinds, a 1976 812; a 1979 model 8123 and a 1983 model 8193KT, which my dad still has!!! Currently, it has 3000 hours on it and still runs well. In short, I am 35 and we have had Gravely's all my life!!! The classic tractor style Gravely is the rear engine all gear drive model. These machines were among the best of all garden tractors ever made, and 5000+ hours was not uncommon. They were built like tanks; my dad still mows with his once a month or so, and says it mows as well as his new John Deere. My father has a philosophy of doing no work on a machine until it breaks something, so the oil in the tranny and engine have NEVER been changed and it has had about two air filters and three or so sets of blades. The machine you are looking at is a good tractor but most Gravely loyalists would say it aint no Gravely. Our neighbor had one when it was labeled as an Ariens and it gave good, but not outstanding service. By the way, Ariens did make a true Cat O three point hitch for that machine; and I have seen one. Good luck.

John M

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm such a novice, it's awful. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yeah, there's no hitch. Merely hookup points for one, as you indicated, DmansPadge. )</font>

Don't feel bad at all! This is a great place to learn. Ask any questions you wish! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like John said, maybe it isn't a "true" Gravely, but, we used to have one very similar at a rental company I worked for in the past. It was used, abused, misused, you name it... and still held up very well.

Good luck.

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #8  
Yep, that's an Ariens tractor rebadged as a Gravely. And that's not a terrible thing as Ariens tractors from that era are perfectly fine machines. If you ever see a big 4 wheel Gravely tractor with the engine under the seat, that's a "real" Gravely. Parts and service for the one you show are available from your local Ariens dealer.

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #9  
hi its the same tractor as my ariens it such a good machine i have had one for 3 years and its only let me down ones when i got mine it looke like that at the back but there is spaces for 3 pointlinkage as i got my uncle to make me one and it works fine .

/ Gravely Tractors and/or Stationary 3pt hitches #10  
As far as I am concerned the 800/8000/9000/G series are the real deal. The rebadged Ariens is still just an Ariens not a true Gravely. I have had Gravely tractors for over 30 years. Only once have I had a major failure in all that time and that was caused by one of my sons abusing the tractor.

Last edited: