Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Re: Gravely Lawn Tractor

I second Whistlepig....Ariens is not the same machine by a long shot.

Tractor
    Deere 316 (Kohler) Deere 316 (Onan) Deere 210

The current Ariens 4 wheel tractors are actually made by Husqvarna with Ariens orange paint.
    If it's free, it's for me!!!!!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by csr0831 View Post
    IF the machine is in good condition, buy it. These tractors are had to beat. I have one of teh 8000 series and I had one of the 816's. I have to respectfully disagree with the poster who said they were "slow". They do not have all the bells and whistles (power steering, hydrostat. etc) and they take two hands to operate.....BUT, stick one of these suckers in 4th and high range and I do not think that there are many in the same class that could catch them : ) Good luck with your decision!
    And for those who know Gravelys, there are gears that were factory made that put them in the 10 + MPH class. You just have to know where to find them. Stock wheels and gears are good for 8.5 MPH.

PS When you get above 10 MPH without a mower deck attached, the front end becomes a little light on the steering.

Silver Member

[QUOTE=PS When you get above 10 MPH without a mower deck attached, the front end becomes a little light on the steering.[/QUOTE]

Yup....Lost an azalia 'cause of that : )

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I like the Gravelys. The forward and reverse clutches are on the outside and easily replaceable. Everything has a grease fitting. They are made like things were made back in the 60's. Easy to service and work on. Just a little bit more metal everywhere so it will last longer.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    I like the Gravelys. The forward and reverse clutches are on the outside and easily replaceable. Everything has a grease fitting. They are made like things were made back in the 60's. Easy to service and work on. Just a little bit more metal everywhere so it will last longer.
    And if you get a 24-G, the PTO clutch is external also. Something Gravely should have switched to on all their 4 wheel tractors from 89 on. But didn't.

Hi !
    Thanks for the great ideas...........

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    The Ariens tractors aren't the same thing as the old Gravelys. The 25HP Ariens tractor weighs 728 pounds. My 16G (16HP) weighs 1200 pounds.
    And the old ones can drag more than their weight. Try an 8162-B pulling a trailer with 2 flat tires that don't roll and a New Holland T-330 on it for a load.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Gravely

Quote Originally Posted by FlaDon View Post
    And if you get a 24-G, the PTO clutch is external also. Something Gravely should have switched to on all their 4 wheel tractors from 89 on. But didn't.
    I have never seen a 24g with an external PTO clutch. 900/9000 yes, but not a 24g. Maybe you have a very late model 24g?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTX View Post
    I have never seen a 24g with an external PTO clutch. 900/9000 yes, but not a 24g. Maybe you have a very late model 24g?
    All Gravely 24-Gs came with the external PTO clutches. They took the idea for that from the Pro Master 17/18/19/20-G line. http://oldgravelys.net/pdf/Pro_24G_Flyer.pdf has an incorrect picture of the tranny but the correct picture of the PTO lever on the tractor. I copied the arrangement into our 35-G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -35g-jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast