Gravely Lawn Tractor

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #11  
I second Whistlepig....Ariens is not the same machine by a long shot.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #12  
The current Ariens 4 wheel tractors are actually made by Husqvarna with Ariens orange paint.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #13  
IF the machine is in good condition, buy it. These tractors are had to beat. I have one of teh 8000 series and I had one of the 816's. I have to respectfully disagree with the poster who said they were "slow". They do not have all the bells and whistles (power steering, hydrostat. etc) and they take two hands to operate.....BUT, stick one of these suckers in 4th and high range and I do not think that there are many in the same class that could catch them : ) Good luck with your decision!
And for those who know Gravelys, there are gears that were factory made that put them in the 10 + MPH class. You just have to know where to find them. Stock wheels and gears are good for 8.5 MPH.

PS When you get above 10 MPH without a mower deck attached, the front end becomes a little light on the steering.:)

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #15  
I like the Gravelys. The forward and reverse clutches are on the outside and easily replaceable. Everything has a grease fitting. They are made like things were made back in the 60's. Easy to service and work on. Just a little bit more metal everywhere so it will last longer.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #16  
I like the Gravelys. The forward and reverse clutches are on the outside and easily replaceable. Everything has a grease fitting. They are made like things were made back in the 60's. Easy to service and work on. Just a little bit more metal everywhere so it will last longer.

And if you get a 24-G, the PTO clutch is external also. Something Gravely should have switched to on all their 4 wheel tractors from 89 on. But didn't.:(

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #17  
Hi !
Thanks for the great ideas...........

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #18  
The Ariens tractors aren't the same thing as the old Gravelys. The 25HP Ariens tractor weighs 728 pounds. My 16G (16HP) weighs 1200 pounds.
And the old ones can drag more than their weight. Try an 8162-B pulling a trailer with 2 flat tires that don't roll and a New Holland T-330 on it for a load.:D

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #19  
And if you get a 24-G, the PTO clutch is external also. Something Gravely should have switched to on all their 4 wheel tractors from 89 on. But didn't.:(

I have never seen a 24g with an external PTO clutch. 900/9000 yes, but not a 24g. Maybe you have a very late model 24g?

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #20  
I have never seen a 24g with an external PTO clutch. 900/9000 yes, but not a 24g. Maybe you have a very late model 24g?

All Gravely 24-Gs came with the external PTO clutches. They took the idea for that from the Pro Master 17/18/19/20-G line. http://oldgravelys.net/pdf/Pro_24G_Flyer.pdf has an incorrect picture of the tranny but the correct picture of the PTO lever on the tractor. I copied the arrangement into our 35-G.

Attachments

• 35G.jpg
    35G.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,083