Gravely Lawn Tractor

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #1  

tude

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere A
I stopped at a dealer and they had a Gravely Professional 20-G lawn tractor for sale. It looked to be in excellent shape and had 20 HP Kohler engine with a 60" deck. Is $2495 a realistic price for this used lawn tractor?

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #2  
Yes, if it is in good shape, buy it. My dad has an 8179KT tractor (Gravely) that has, I think, about 3200 hours on it and was purchased in 1983. I remember because I went to get it for him. These are rare and excellent machines. Even though they are no longer made, they last so long dealers and small engine shops can readily find parts for and work on them. The machine is slow by todays standards mowing but running it in "two" high you will get a cut that the new machines cannot easily match.

John M

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #3  
Actually Gravelys are still made. They are just made by Airens, who now owns Gravely. The Airens built Gravleys are good machines. The 8xxx garden tractors are no longer made though. And perhaps the walk behind garden tractor series are no longer made, not sure about that though.
Ben

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #4  
Thank you, I should have been more clear: the Gravely 8000 series garden tractors are no longer made. The two wheeled Gravelys are also no longer made. Gravely now makes ZTR's (some of the best in the business) and walk behinds, push type mowers and one front cut mower with bicycle style steering. It discontined the production of tractors I believe around 1999-2000 or so. Gravely has maintained success by going with market trends, but I must wax nostalgic for those machines. My family had an old 7.6 two wheeled tractor I learned to mow on when a wee-tot; an 810, an 8123, an 8173KT and an 8199 with an Onan engine (the tractor was great, the engine terrible). As stated my dad still regularly uses his 8173KT (or is it an 8179?)

John M

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #5  
John,
I have a 1973 812. Great little tractor. Pulls better than any other garden tractror I have seen. I regularly pull 1/2 ton loads of firewood with it up a very steep hill that you can't get a 2wd pickup to go up. Tough little beasts.

Ben

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #6  
Yes, by the end of the production of four wheeled tractors, the retail price was over 10K for the 20G models. Mower Decks were in the $2500 range.

They didn't go cheap, but those who own them realize the value.

My family has a 1976 812 that we used to clean out and spread sawdust in our commercial poultry barn. Hard work for any lawn tractor. This was a 250' x 50' by three story building. This was repeated every six weeks and in addition it mowed several acres of lawn. This tractor still is in use, now to mow a 40 blueberry field each fall. I can't say enough about the quality of these machines. We used to wear out a lawn tractor every two years prior to the Gravely.

We've since bought an 816 and I have a G20. If you have the opportunity to get one, don't hesitate. It may be the only tractor you ever need.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #7  
I stopped at a dealer and they had a Gravely Professional 20-G lawn tractor for sale. It looked to be in excellent shape and had 20 HP Kohler engine with a 60" deck. Is $2495 a realistic price for this used lawn tractor?

Depending on the shape and condition. I am on my second 16HP Gravely lawn tractor. I consider it the best lawn tractor ever made. Engine under the seat and a cast iron transmission. The only reason my first one didn't last was because my wife let it roll down a cliff backwards. A tree ripped the motor loose from the transmission and ripped the cylinders from the crankcase. She said it wasn't her fault.

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #8  
IF the machine is in good condition, buy it. These tractors are had to beat. I have one of teh 8000 series and I had one of the 816's. I have to respectfully disagree with the poster who said they were "slow". They do not have all the bells and whistles (power steering, hydrostat. etc) and they take two hands to operate.....BUT, stick one of these suckers in 4th and high range and I do not think that there are many in the same class that could catch them : ) Good luck with your decision!

/ Gravely Lawn Tractor #9  
my son has a 812 and we pulled in the local fair this year, tough machine.
Rob

Attachments

• fair 006.JPG
    fair 006.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 7,853
   / Gravely Lawn Tractor #10  
Actually Gravelys are still made. They are just made by Airens, who now owns Gravely. The Airens built Gravleys are good machines. The 8xxx garden tractors are no longer made though. And perhaps the walk behind garden tractor series are no longer made, not sure about that though.
Ben

The Ariens tractors aren't the same thing as the old Gravelys. The 25HP Ariens tractor weighs 728 pounds. My 16G (16HP) weighs 1200 pounds.