temp guage?

/ temp guage? #1  

bdunegan

anyone have any ideas on how to put a temp guage on a c-144 hinomoto? dont want to drill and tap anything if i can help it. mine has a block drain line right behind starter, and was thinking of putting a tee in it with one side being guage, and other side being drain. being low in block, would this give an accurate reading or not. dont really want to have thermostat housing drilled if i can keep from it. also, does anyone know the correct hp of this tractor? i have heard anything from 14 to 18 hp, and tractordata lists as 18hp. what would the pto hp be, and how many engine rpms would i have to run to achieve 540 pto rpms? thanks

/ temp guage? #2  
You might be able to find a small electrical sending unit from a import car that will fit right into the block drain. Once you get it installed, you might have to experiment a little to find a gauge that will work with it. Also assuming its working properly, it might not be calibrated to all areas of your motor. For example, the bottom of the block may run 30 degrees cooler than the top of the head, so use a non-contact IR thermometer to check the temp at several places on the motor. Compare to the gauge reading to see what the "accurate or true" reading should be. I know my Allis D-10 runs 30 degrees cooler than the gauge shows. As to your other questions, Pto hp would be (big surprise) LOWER. Pto rpm may be printed on the tachometer, if it has one. Easy to check that with a tachometer, and then write it near the tach. Welcome to the site!:D

/ temp guage? #3  
All the Hino's (including my A-C 5020, which is a Hino down underneath) that I have any data on show 2,500 engine rpm as the rated speed for 540 at the PTO. Hino numbers usually relate to PTO HP so I'd say the 14 is PTO. I find both 17 and 18 listed as engine HP in the references I have.

/ temp guage?
with this rpm in mind, previous owner said to run it at 2000 rpm to mow with.(5ft finish mower). this just doesnt seem fast enough, so i run it about 2200. on my tach, at about 2600, there is a small halfmark, then it goes into red at about 2800. is this mark the specified rpm to achieve 540 rpm by chance? also just a bit leary running it this close to red. what do you think? should this tractor run the mower alright, or do i need to drop to a 4ft? also looking to buy a 4ft brush hog. will this machine handle it ok? thanks for the response.

/ temp guage? #5  
No "danger" in running 200 under red line ... at absolute full throttle, mine rides just under red line and wouldn't go over unless I had a full hay wagon behind it headed down my steepest hill.
The hash mark is likely your PTO 540/Engine RPM line. 2600 (or 2500) isn't going to make much difference in PTO revs -- let's assume 2500 was correct then running at 2600 would only spin the PTO at 562. Conversely, if 2600 is correct, running at 2500 woul only drop it to 519. 2000, however, is another story -- That's only 75-80% of rated (depending on which is correct) so you're down in the low 400's on the PTO. MOST machines work best at their design PTO speed (my baler being one of the few exceptions -- it doesn't like to tie knots above about 430 on the PTO).
Your 4' finish mower should be fine unless you get into really thick, tall grass ... then just overlap less until you find what the engine can handle without lugging down. 4' bush hog will take similar operator judgement. My 21 PTO HP handles a 5' hog OK with some operator care -- if you start to lug it or stall it, slow down/overlap less/ease into it with the 3PH. You can tell by sound when the engine is loaded and by drop in RPM if it's overloaded.