Hydraulic fluid change?

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #1  

bdunegan

am going to change hydraulic fluid and filter in my moto c-144. was wondering what fluid type would be best to use? now, my lift is jerky even after warmup with or without load. was going to change to see if it helps. fluid now is not milky, but is pretty thin looking(it just runs off dipstick when checking). what is best to run in a GL grade fluid?

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #2  
GL grade fluid???? That wouldn't be hydraulic oil. It probably either takes hydraulic oil or if it has a common sump system then it takes a UTF (universal tractor fluid) that is designed to be used as a hydraulic oil, gear lubricant, wet brake/clutch fluid, etc...

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #3  
I expect the tractor either wants some UTF (15W30 or 10W30 if you use that terminology in the US) or some standard hydraulic oil.

If there is just one sump and all the oil is contained in the gearbox area, it is probably 15W30.

In fact, UTF (15W30) is good for pretty much everything on older tractors.

It's all we use :)

Hope that helps

/ Hydraulic fluid change?
been away for a while since i posted topic. what is recommended? universal type hydraulic fluid, or a GL type fluid? according to I&T shop manual, my tractor is the twin to Massey 1010. manual says to use Massey PermatranIII, or use an 80w GL3 or GL4 grade fluid. my tractor is gear trans and not hydro if that makes a difference. want to be sure to use right fluid when i change so that i only have to do it once! any help is welcome!!

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #5  
Ahh, GL grade "gear" oil. Basically you can use either UTF fluid meeting the Permatran III spec or a 80W (as in 80 weight) GL3/GL4 gear oil.

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #6  
Is it a Hinomoto? They make some wild noises when cold if you use a heavy oil.

It is a Hinomoto C-144. right now lift is jerky with or without load, and makes a whining noise when lifting. fluid now looks very thin, and has a hint of moisture content. just want to know what everyone thinks about which fluid is best. my old 8n uses a universal type fluid and has the same common sump set-up. would this be best in my case?

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #8  
I use Universal Hy-Trans fluid in all my Hinomotos.

Eugene

just finished hydraulic fluid and filter change. used a universal Hy-Tran fluid that was equivelant to MF Permatran III as recommended in the MF manual. Man! what a difference! old fluid was very milky-tan looking, so i am assuming moisture? lift is no longer jerky even with no load! smooth as a new one!!! and tractor is a bunch quieter with no trans whine at all. When i got tractor gear shift boot was torn, so i replaced it, and now new fluid. so far i love this little machine. it has done everything i have put it through with no trouble. One question is however, when i bought machine i was told it was made new in Japan, but exported to U.S. before being sold in Japan. I do know that mine has a regular serial number and model number on it, and Trans plug was not even metric. mine has all safety switches and even a PTO shield. Is this fact even remotely possible to being true? Thanks everyone for their ideas and input. I really appreciate it!!

/ Hydraulic fluid change? #10  
The torn shift boot was probably your moisture problem. Your tractor was not shipped to the US before being sold in Japan. All of the Hino's from the early 80's on up have PTO shields and English/Japanese labels.

Eugene