Help A Rookie

/ Help A Rookie #1  

NW Rookie

I am about to buy a tractor. In this economy I can't afford a JD and don't care to. We just bought a farm and I need a tractor with a loader. Here are my options.

Zen-noh 2-wheel drive with loader 480 hours

Hinomota 2-wheel drive with loader 1100

Iseki with loader. 1000

Which one would you guys buy? Moving Horse S--- most of the time out of stalls.

/ Help A Rookie #2  
Tough to answer having no idea of the sizes or models, etc.

If small machines, two wheel drive makes traction a problem.

Parts availability is always the number one concern for non-mainstay brands.

What ever you decide you need to be sure you can get parts, without parts ultimately you end up with a piece of yard sculpture.

If at all possible I recommend something a little more mainstream. Kioti, Kubota, JD, NH, Mahindra, etc. There are some deals out there. I would go older established prior to newer lower hours non-established.

Joel

/ Help A Rookie #3  
I am about to buy a tractor. In this economy I can't afford a JD and don't care to. We just bought a farm and I need a tractor with a loader. Here are my options.

Zen-noh 2-wheel drive with loader 480 hours

Iseki with loader. 1000

Which one would you guys buy? Moving Horse S--- most of the time out of stalls.
Zennoh is not a manufacturer...it is a label. Machines were made by Yanmar and Kubota and maybe others. The Kubota made ones will be tough, most of the yanmar made ones have fair support. Hinomoto and Iseki----wouldn't take one on trade at any price SOLELY because the parts support is slim and worse. If you don't have anything break, it could be a bargain....it could also quickly become an expensive lawn ornament, adn I would not buy a tractor that didn't have a good parts supply chain. Take a look at zennohtractors.com or zennohparts.com

There are good dealers who specialize in the grey market tractors, including us. Buy from someone with references, someone whose credibility can be documented, and let them tell you what is a good value and what isn't.

/ Help A Rookie #4  
Like was said, it depends on which models of those brands. I would say that Iseki models have "fair" support too, probably not quite as good as the Yanmar greys. I have an older (late '70's, early '80's) TS model Iseki and was able to rebuild the Isuzu motor with new parts from a stateside supplier, Dessco | Home in Utah, who had them in stock! Prices weren't that bad either. Apparently a lot of these Japanese diesel engines are used in other equipment like forklifts, stationary applications, etc. I also rebuilt the front end (it's a 4x4) with new bearings and seals, some of which parts came from the sole US Iseki importer, Rainbow Distr. in Hawaii. Other bearings and seals are standard metric that you can order from any bearing supply house. Now, if I would need some important casting on the tractor or transmission gears, etc. I would probably be in trouble and at the mercy of high priced Japan-ordered parts if they're even available, unless I could find a dealer in the US with a parts tractor. But I think that would be the same story with ANY grey market tractor. On the Hinomoto, somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're no longer in business and you'd really be hard pressed to find any parts. To sum it up, I'm very happy with my grey market purchase ($2900 in '03) and if I would have had to buy a JD or other US market tractor, I simply wouldn't have a tractor because I couldn't afford one at the time. Good luck with your choice.

/ Help A Rookie #5  
hey rookie i am no different but you seem to be in the same predicament i was in 2007.i just wanted a tractor to use around the yard to help with moving heavy stuff.i wound up with a mitsubishi.parts for this tractor is hard to come by and if it breaks it would be a yard ornament.so far it is working fine for me.the cost was a fraction of what a jd would cost.you have to weigh the affordability and if possible have a mechanic check it out.try it out if possible.and decide on which one will do the work for you.then take your chance.very few things are made in the usa these days that are affordable to the average joe.and you may have to wait a long time until you can afford a more expensive american brand farm tractor.if you use the machine with care and do proper maintenance you should get good service out of the one you choose.the tractors with parts more readily available are priced higher than the ones with hard to ger parts.you have to do the math.

/ Help A Rookie #6  
hey rookie i am no different but you seem to be in the same predicament i was in 2007.i just wanted a tractor to use around the yard to help with moving heavy stuff.i wound up with a mitsubishi.parts for this tractor is hard to come by and if it breaks it would be a yard ornament.so far it is working fine for me.the cost was a fraction of what a jd would cost.you have to weigh the affordability and if possible have a mechanic check it out.try it out if possible.and decide on which one will do the work for you.then take your chance.very few things are made in the usa these days that are affordable to the average joe.and you may have to wait a long time until you can afford a more expensive american brand farm tractor.if you use the machine with care and do proper maintenance you should get good service out of the one you choose.the tractors with parts more readily available are priced higher than the ones with hard to get parts.you have to do the math.

/ Help A Rookie #7  
Have you considered a used machine in thestated size? There may be some good deals on used machines.

/ Help A Rookie #8  
would you consider a machine with 47o hours used.and what would be a good deal.

/ Help A Rookie #9  
You might also check out a small used skid loader, they are great in tight areas. But it depends on if you really need a tractor for other uses. You would be disappointed in a small compact tractor without 4wd. They just don't have enough traction with a loader without 4wd. I have a Zennoh 4wd tractor/loader and it has been great, and I have not had any parts issues. But just think a skid loader for you may be a better fit, they can be bought fairly cheaply.

/ Help A Rookie #10  
1*I am about to buy a tractor. In this economy I can't afford a JD and don't care to. We just bought a farm and I need a tractor with a loader. Here are my options.
2*(Zen-noh 2-wheel drive with loader 480 hours
Iseki with loader. 1000)
1*JD ain't the only decent tractor out there.
2*You can do better than these and still come in under a JD price.

Last edited: