long 445 or 460

/ long 445 or 460 #1  

dukecountry

:confused:Could someone please tell me if my tractor is a 445 or 460 Long ? The hood lifts to the front and it has headlights in the grille. I have been told by the guy I bought it from that it was a 445 long, but other people tell me it is a 460 Long. It has a six speed trans and I read on tractor data that the 460 Long had a 8 speed trans. I am at a total loss!!!!

/ long 445 or 460 #2  
445's don't all look exactly alike. Posting a couple of photos would help. The Long isn't a grey. Probably would have more luck getting answers regarding it in the "All Other Brands" forum.

/ long 445 or 460 #3  
On a Long tractor, it is impossible to know what exact year you own. When the tractors were inported and brought to Tarboro, N.C., they were set in the yard in steel crates. They were grabbed in radom order with no reguard to sn. You could have an older sn, yet the tractor could be a couple years newer, being it set in the crate for that amount of time. Having part books for these two models, I can tell you what is the same and what is different.The engines are the same, 143 cu in. 42 pto hp some external Parts+ may be different, the 445 came out in 1972 , inporting stopped in 1976. They had a 10 inch pto and transmission clutch with a 6 speed transmission. The 460 came to this country in 1977. They stopped inporting this model in 1989. The 1977 and 1978 models had a 10 inch clutch, 6 speed transmission. 1979- 1989 had a 11 inch with a 8 speed tranmission. The rear differials should be close. Sometimes engines got swapped around in different power trains depending on the history of the tractor. The Romainian goverment did very little changes to their design, order the parts to what tranny you have; you should be right. Hope this helps, Trac

/ long 445 or 460 #4  
Duke,
I have a 445. Same setup as you, hood folds forward. I believe that it is a 460 hood on a 445. I would like to find a replacement hood. It has six forward gears and two reverse.
It is was sold in Oct. 1975 s/n 532470. I really like this tractor. It has done quite a lot around the farm. One problem is the accumulation of water in the transmission case. Check this often.