puffs at high idle

/ puffs at high idle #1  

Crog

Greetings,

I have a Hinomoto E2304 with 780 hours. I have been operating it for about a month, and it has been running great. I filled the tank this weekend, and noticed something different. When I set the throttle to 2000 RPM or higher, there seems to be a miss. Every time it sputters, I get a puff of white (could be bluish or grayish but it's hard to tell) smoke.

The higher the RPMs, the more it does it. Starts fine, and no problems below 2000 RPM.

I suspect bad fuel, but I could be wrong.

Will it do any harm to just burn through this tank, or should I take more drastic measures. Are there any other conditions that could explain this problem.

thanks,
Jeff

/ puffs at high idle #2  
Hey Crog I have a Shibura and sometimes it smokes a slight grey if I don't let it warm up before I start using it. Any way I am by no means a desiel mech. nor can I spell /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Well blue smoke would mean your getting oil blow bye into the cylinder which I don't blieve would be good. I believe that Grayish white smoke would mean that your not burning all of your fuel upon detonation. I don't know but maybe check the injectors are nice and tight and all the fittings in the fuel system as well. Man I hope its something simple for you, we buy these tractors hoping nothing is wrong with them but I knew I was taking a chance. So far so good with mine. Hope everything works out. Jray /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ puffs at high idle
Thanks,

I'm betting it's not a big deal. Probably some clogged injector caused by some gunk in the fuel tank. It was running perfectly before I filled the tank last weekend. Someone sugggested adding some ATF to the fuel. It is supposedly very good at cleaning injectors.

Jff

/ puffs at high idle #4  
I would put some real diesel injector cleaner in the tank and check/replace fuel and air filters, also use a diesel fuel stabilizer if not already.

/ puffs at high idle #5  
The puffs of white smoke is water in the diesel. Do not put ATF in, buy some Diesel fuel water/algae conditioner and add to the tank per manufactures recommendations. It will make the water molecules very small so your diesel will burn them up without damage and kill anything else growing in your tank. Never put anything alcohol based in to get rid of the water.

/ puffs at high idle #6  
Crog,

I sugested using ATF in your fuel. Eveything I own is diesel, Dodge truck 225,000 81 VW diesel pu 230,000 2002 Vw diesel Jetta, JD970 and had a Chinese tractor that had the puffing problem alot.

I have never had a injector replaced in any of my diesels, ATF works for me.

PJR

/ puffs at high idle #7  
I don’t think ATF will hurt injectors but it will restrict fuel flow and lower power output. Diesel conditioner is a certified fix that we know will not lower power output, kills algae and is cheaper than ATF.

/ puffs at high idle #8  
EFC,

I have used high dollar injection cleaner, Diesel Pro 5.00 qt, Cummins injector cleaner 7.50 qt you can buy injector cleaner for.99 But ATF works the Best for cleaning injectors.

It will not remove water thats what a water trap is for.

If your tank is full of alge that will clog your fuel filter, ATF will not help that but if you have injector problems. Dirty, sticking, lots of smoke ATF is the best I have found. You will not lose power it will run great.

I know lots of people that use it also and they are amazed at the results.

Give it a try EFC you might be surprised at what it will do for dirty injectors.

PJR

/ puffs at high idle #9  
I did not recommend any injector cleaner, if your injectors are dirty then you have bigger problems than cleaner can solve. I recommended fuel conditioner to get rid of water. His hinny does not have a water separator and if there is water then there is algae. I have talked to guys that use ATF and I'm positive it will not shorten the life of your diesel but it has almost 0 flammability so I can’t see it not decreasing power. Of coerce if it is smoking without ATF is sounds like your down on power anyway so it doesn’t matter.

/ puffs at high idle #10  
EFC,

This is what I do for my diesels to keep the injectors clean. I have had people with smoke problems use ATF and it fixes the problem.

SO do what you want. But if you try it you might like it. It will make those Grey Yanmars run their best!

But back to this guys Problem, try some ATF if it is dirty or sticky injectors it will help!

PJR
P.S I am a bad Speller