Newbie with a Shibaura

/ Newbie with a Shibaura #1  

CSX66

Tractor
Shibaura SP1740 & Husqvarna 1842
Hi All,

I'm new here and just found this forum recently.

I picked up a Shibaura 1740 to work around my property doing gardens etc

It seems like a good little tractor and everything works OK. However I don't know it's service history and thought I'd give it a once over before doing any real work. New oil and filters are the order of the day but since this is a Japan import there's not a lot of info at the local Shibaura dealer for this model.

I was looking at a Shibaura ST318 and it looks like an updated version of my tractor. The mechanicals look very similar. I'm hoping the oil, hydraulic and fuel filters are the same.

Does anyone have any part numbers for these for the 1740?

I also have read that New Holland and Shibaura share some common components. Are they the same underneath ie an OEM arrangement between New Holland and Shibaura?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Michael

/ Newbie with a Shibaura #2  
hey, I have a Shibaura 2843T I was able to cross it with A Ford 1710. I have been told by a few tractor dealers that Shibaura buids ford and massey compact tractors and i have had pretty good luck with buying parts for a ford.I believe if you can cross it it will be easier to get info and buy parts. My water pump I found for a 1710 was the exact same as my shibaura and A LOT cheaper too. Got some parts from Ford/ New Holland dealer. Good luck!

/ Newbie with a Shibaura
Thanks for the reply Benzmender.

The more I've been researching the more I've found cross overs with other tractor makes. It looks like New Holland OEM Shibaura tractors for quite a few of their models.

Inlon, the local distributor for Shibaura have been very helpful even though this is a grey import tractor. I've been looking for a set of turf tires and rims for it and they've happily given me measurements off other Shibaura models to compare.

The detective work has been a bit of fun. I actually got a reply back from Shibaura head office in Japan. They gave me the part numbers for all the filters I was looking for. Unfortunately they don't make them any more but at least I can cross reference the part numbers.

Cheers

Michael