Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive

/ Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive #1  

rhandwor

I have a Mitsubishi D2500 with a 2DR7 33013 engine. I had my starter at a rebuilder who had the armature rewound and a couple field coils replaced. Anyone with a used core or starter drive for this starter I'm willing to purchase it.
I purchased a new J&D 410-12117 starter that is supposed to replace it but want to finish the rebuild. My new new one is scheduled for delivery 12/23/12 as I have a small gear drive starter I purchased form RareElectrical for $314.00. It works but is small and I doubt it will hold up. The J&D weighs close to the same.
I Google the J&D number and found one for $159.00 plus shipping. I paid a little more but the seller found the number and guarantees it will work. The rebuilder don't take visa and depended a check gave me a price then said it couldn't be repaired then admitted the drive was lost.
I will confirm the J&D starter will work in a few days.

/ Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive #2  
If the rebuilder misplaced/lost your starter drive, why isn't he responsible for getting another drive so he can finish the rebuild of your okd unit?

Ken

/ Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive
He is in another state and doesn't accept credit cards so I paid by check when he was ready to ship. A week later having the starter for a couple months then he said it had electrical problems. The cost to take him to court is more than a new starter cost. His rebuilder is supposed to be trying to find me a starter drive. Anyway he works this forum regularly.
Rich

/ Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive #4  
Believe I see your problems, that's one reason I prefer to deal locally on things like that, but I understand that isn't always possible.

Anyway, if you haven't already tried them here's a couple of places that may be able to help you

Japanese Tractor Repair Dixon, IL

Valley Power

If they can't help maybe they can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Ken

The J&N starter I think would work but is about 1 inch long to fit into the space where the starter goes.

Wilson 91-27-3315 is a reference number google this number. They have some parts but not a rebuilt or drive. You have to use drop down boxes.
And click on bom.

/ Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive #7  
...Anyway he works this forum regularly.

If he took your money but lost your parts he is clearly in the wrong. At the least your money should be immediately refunded. If he is a regular here on the forum, I don't see any harm in sharing his name. I have sent starters across the country to get rebuilt before, and I would certainly like to know about a disreputable, shady business. Telling one story, then another to cover for him losing parts is not acceptable. At the least, he can refund your money and return your starter.

His rebuilder is supposedly looking for the drive if I don't get it in a weeks time I will post his name. He did get the armature rewound and a couple of field coils replaced. But without a drive to get rebuilt what I have is useless.

/ Mitsubishi M5T20071 starter drive #9  
I'm the "disreputable, shady dealer". I would like to explain the situation. This a starter that Mitsubishi does not supply parts for any more. There are not aftermarket parts listed for it. I have a local rebuilder that is usually good about finding parts that can be made to work on these obsolete starters.He has been in business of rebuilding automotive electrical equipmentfor 35 years. not just trying to sell the customer new starters & alternators. I took the starter to the local rebuilder . He told me the drive was bad & sent it to someone that rebuilds them. After checking with him on the progress a couple times he told me the windings & armature were bad.& he'd have to send them to get rewound. After checking with him on the progress a couple times he told me he couldn't find anyone that could do the windings & armature. I got all the parts back, but the drive since it was supposedly at the drive rebuilders. I'd previously talked to some other local electric motor repair places about rewinders, but their leads were deadends. It is a lost art, because of the competition from aftermarket suppliers. I'd checked on the internet for a rewinder & rhandwor also sent me some links. Some of which I had all ready talked too. We discussed where to send the starter & decided on a Chicago area rebuilder. I told them to get me a quote, because I wanted to OK it with the customer. These folks claimed they could do it. I got the run around with these guys. First they could do it . Then they couldn't , they had to send it away. I spent weeks calling for a quote. Finally rather than giving me a quote they said it was too expensive. After another 2 weeks of prodding they finally gave me a quote of $2000. They sent it back with a rebuilt armature & didn't charge for it. Someone must have not followed the directions of just a quote & rebuilt it. rhandwor & I decided to try someone in Canada that said he could do the windings, but not the armature when I had talked to him earlier. He was a good experience. When I got everthing back I asked the local rebuilder when the drive would be done. (I had asked him to wait until we had all the parts siince I didn't know if we could get the other parts rebuilt. ) After a couple more weeks he informed me he or the rebuilder couldn't find it. They probably threw it out was his response. He has since told me he basically does want my business & personally, I don't want to deal with him either. I have spent more money on this starter than I charged rhandwor. Plus the time & aggravation I've spent on it. I quoted an estimate that usually covers a rebuild, but this was in worse condition than most starters. One does not know what the cost of a rebuild is until the starter is opened up. I would supply a drive if I could, but they are very rare. I spend a lot of time trying to get or make obsolete parts to keep peoples tractors running & I hope this one instance beyond my control is not going to ruin my good reputation. At least rhandwor has a starter that will start his tractor.

His rebuilder Ed at Lincolnway Auto Electric told me if he can't find the drive by Monday he will make me a new drive free. I think he will find it.
My local tractor dealer said he called Mitsubishi and was told he thought he had a new one on the shelf. Hopefully Leonard will pick up the tab.