Hinomoto e14d steering quit

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit #1  

rts551

Tractor
Hinomoto E14d
The steering has always been very difficult, but yesterday the steering quit working altogether. Take weight off the wheels and the steering works.....weight on the wheels and the steering wheel turns but not the wheels....any ideas before I tear into it.

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit #2  
The bearings in the front kingpins have crumbled. If not taken care of right away, the housings will have to be replaced.

Eugene

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit
The bearings in the front kingpins have crumbled. If not taken care of right away, the housings will have to be replaced.

Eugene

I am not even getting anything that far....the arms are not activating to the front housing.

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit #4  
Sounds like something is rusted up or broken in the gearbox. These tractors were run under water most of their lives with no maintinence. Have you checked the fluid level in the steering gear?

Eugene

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit #5  
I'm going to bet it's the bearings in the steering box. There should be an upper and lower on the steering wheel shaft. They act like thrust bearings for the shaft and depending on which way the wheel is turned, the upper or lower takes the load for the gear engagement in the box. When they go, it allows the sector gear and steering shaft nut to slip teeth or not engage. Check the box out and if it is bearings, they are probably available from any of the online Hinomoto parts dealers. It's a cheap and easy fix once you get the steering shaft off the box. Is there any up/down play in the steering shaft when you turn the wheel? If so, it is almost certainly one of those bearings.

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit
I have ordered the parts manual. As soon as I get it will start tearing things apart...starting with the steering shaft thanks for the replies.

/ Hinomoto e14d steering quit #7  
I own a E180D and am having a steering issue in that while using the tractor the front end locks up and I have to put it in reverse and shift the H/L lever in and out in order to regain steering. It happens quite often while using the tractor. Any ideas of why this is happening?