3-Point Hitch Kumiai ST1540

/ Kumiai ST1540 #1  

chipslinger69

Tractor
Kumiai ST1540
First off, hello everyone. As you can tell from my post count, I am new to this board. I live outside the big city of Bryan, Tx. I have been around tractors most of my life. Mostly in the hay fields. I recently acquired an old 1979 Kumiai ST1540 with he K3B diesel engine. When I purchased it I was not even sure if it would turn over but I couldn't pass up the price of $300.00 for it and a Howse model 350 shredder. After getting it home and checking everything out, to my surprise it fired up and runs like a brand new tractor. The clutch even functions properly and no noise from the throw out bearing. The only main issue that I have been able to come across is that the 4wd lever just moves front to back without activating the 4wd. The tach/hour meter quit working at 945 hours so I am clueless as to how many hours it actually has on it. I have found thru research that this tractor is very similar to the Satoh Buck. The main difference is that this tractor has 2 three point levers on the side, the second seems to be draft control or something similar. It has several pieces missing that control the function. Does anyone have a picture of the controls, rods, levers, springs and such of the 3 point area? I plan on striping the tractor down, replacing the axle seals and pto seal before I repaint it and would really like to be able to get all of the small missing pieces installed before paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20150807_132030-1.jpg 20150612_122510.jpg

/ Kumiai ST1540
Thanks for the reply wagtail. I have came across those manuals in my search but have been very reluctant in purchasing them. They seem to be an electronic download and were asking $59.00 each, without a guarantee of the language that the manuals will be in.

/ Kumiai ST1540
A little update on the $300.00 "Mitsubishi/Kumiai ST1540" project. As usual, the 4wd problem was the pin had fallen out of the shaft so the shifter did not have anything to engage. Found pin and permanently replaced it. Got the tractor mostly stripped down and rear seals ordered. I did not opt to replace any of the final drive bearings because they all seem to be in great shape. The tractor had some issues with the starter solenoid and after searching every parts house and tractor dealer in the Brazos Valley I found out that the solenoid was a rare commodity. It was not in stock anywhere and had to be ordered. So, I decided that I would just go ahead and replace the starter. After checking around again, I found that no one had a complete starter in stock either. The cheapest anyone wanted for one was $225.00 plus the core. So, I did a little more research and found out that the starter was used on dozens of different tractors and found a brand new replacement on line for $115.00 with no core charge. Needless to say, I ordered it. I stripped most of the old paint and it appears that the original color was blue and then someone had gone over it with a grey. So, I decided to repaint it blue. I have the engine painted so far. I did not paint the front drive because I need to replace the seals and possibly bearings on both axles. Take a look at that hydraulic oil screen. I am surprised the hydraulics even function. It doesn't look like it has ever been serviced.

20150816_172854.jpg

20150819_134642.jpg

20150819_134659.jpg

20150821_143019.jpg

Attachments

• 20150818_175140.jpg
    20150818_175140.jpg
    813 KB · Views: 846
   / Kumiai ST1540
A little update. I replaced the seals in the rear axle housings and got them reinstalled. The hydraulics are not bolted down because some pto parts that I ordered should be here tomorrow. I'll get them installed and bolt down the hydraulics. I have the seals, bushings and bearing ordered for the front axles. Bill with Valley Power was a huge help with the seals and bushings. Once they get here, which should be Monday. I'll strip the front axles, steam clean it, run everything through the blasting cabinet then install the new seals, bushings and bearings. Paint the front axle and reattach it to the tractor and add the oil. Then on to the sheet metal.

20150905_142850.jpg

20150905_142908.jpg

/ Kumiai ST1540
It's been a while since I have updated this thread so just to let everyone know that the project didn't fizzle out here are a few updates. I received and installed the PTO parts that came from a Mitsubishi MT372. The difference between the two is that the MT372 has a one way clutch and you have to use the rear pto shaft from the MT372 transmission but everything bolts right up. I scored an original toolbox/seat mount dirt cheap. Got new seals, bushings and bearings installed in the front axle. New front tires mounted. I have also recently started remounting the sheet metal. I don't have a current picture but I have remounted the dash sheet metal, fuel tank, tank battery mount, steering box, two front hood supports, breather mount, fenders and a few other odds and ends. Most of the parts from the tractor fit in my blasting cabinet. Those that would not fit, I sand blasted. When time permits I will sand blast the rear rims, prime and paint. Then they will be ready to mount. All of the seals and bearings had numbers on them so it was very easy to cross reference them with other brands.

The original PTO.
20150906_195300.jpg

The MT372 PTO parts installed.
20150912_213658-1.jpg
20150912_213709-1.jpg

The hydraulics bolted back up.
20150914_192831.jpg

The toolbox/seat mount that I scored for $30.00
20150925_231252.jpg

One of the final drives, rebuilt ready for install.
20150919_104433-1.jpg

The front axle painted and mounted with new seals, bushings and bearings installed.
20150920_191831.jpg

The new tires mounted to the bead blasted, primed and painted wheels.
20151015_155547-1.jpg

/ Kumiai ST1540 #7  
Thank you very much for generously sharing descriptions of your work on the tractor. It has been very helpful for me in consideration of purchasing a used Kumiai. Very impressive what you have done. I understand your thread is 2.5 years old, and you may not find this reply, though it was worth a chance letting you know how much I appreciate the effort you took to share your work. All the best