Shabaura D23F brake adjustment?

/ Shabaura D23F brake adjustment? #1  

brianidaho

Silver Member
I have a D23F that needs a brake adjustment. I have in the past adjusted the turnbuckle that runs from the pedals back, its worked ok but seems like i am using adjustment in a hurry. Is there another adjustment at the brakes themselves? If so, where/how?

Also, what is required to change brakes on a tractor, this one specifically. I assume they are "wet" or in the transmission. I suspect mine are going, there was friction pad material in the hydro oil and the clutch pedal doesnt seem to have moved. I have done plenty of auto and truck brakes, but never any on tractors. Also, where could I buy the parts?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

/ Shabaura D23F brake adjustment? #2  
I just looked at my parts book for the D23. It has wet brakes. It has multiple discs stacked between plates. It uses a rotating plate with ball bearings to apply pressure to the stack. It is a lot like a clutch on a motorcycle. There is a plate covering the brake just in front of the rear axle. It looks pretty straight forward to get at it. All the adjustment seems to be at the turn buckle. There isn't a cam like the Yanmars have on their pad breaks.

/ Shabaura D23F brake adjustment?
Thanks for the info, I'll crawl under it tomorrow and poke around, maybe pull the cover you are talking about and take a look at how things go together. I hope it is like a cycle clutch, the multidisc clutches on bikes are simple to work on.

Do you carry pads (plates?) for this tractor?

Bri

/ Shabaura D23F brake adjustment? #4  
I am an inactive dealer. I still support the trade when I can. I have had to go through Australia to get parts for this model. It isn't as bad as it sounds. The Aussy dollar is cheap. You probably should get in touch with Buck at EFC. He is a Shib fan.

/ Shabaura D23F brake adjustment?
I crawled under the rig today, the setup appears to be like you say, 2 access covers, one on each side, presumably one for each brake. There is a shaft through the midldle of each, with a bell-crank attached. This in turn ties via turnbuckles to the pedals. The bell-cranks are a square end over the shaft-the one that was running short on adjustment on the turnbuckle I rotated one flat and dialed it in via the turnbuckle. Piece of cake. I didn't get as far today as I wanted, as far as removing the covers and checking out the discs-too many projects this spring.

I appreciate the info.

Bri