Kubota L1500 Steering Housing

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing #1  

Hertenstein

Hey folks, everyone is reading the message but no one is adding any info. Am I that far out in left field?

Regards,
Hertenstein

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing #2  
I would try filling it with the #140 first and see if that helped

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing #3  
I didn't answer before because I don't know how well that would work. I've heard of folks doing it all right, but don't know whether lubrication will get everywhere it needs to get to, so like Jim, I'd try the 140W first and see if it still leaks out. And of course it's my understanding we don't know where the leak is; a seal perhaps? I have a neighbor who is a firm believer in STP (I'm not), but he told me recently that he had a gear box leaking on a brush hog, put STP in it, and no more leak. I guess there's a possibility that might work on your steering. Of course, I think the preferred thing is to find the leak and fix it.

Bird

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing
I agree that I should find the leak and I have tried, but I haven't been successful. I taped all the openings and submersed it in water and forced air in through a hose. I couldn't see an air bubble anywhere! I think I'll go with the 140W. Thanks for the reply.

Hertenstein

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing #5  
I have seen gear boxes that had grease in them and the grease would harden around the edges and the gears would be running dry!! As the gears turned they would force the grease away from the gears and it was to thick to flow back so it hardened around the edges.

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing #6  
Not sure what part exactly is leaking on your Kubota (do not know squat about them little fellows,myself). Had a leak at the bottom of the steering column on my CIH 1494,at the steering hand pump.Had a hell of a time finding it,took two people to finally figure it out,one to turn the wheel,one to watch the pump.The pump would only leak when warm, under pressure,and when turned about 1/2 way to one side only.If you did not turn it enough or too much it would not leak.Your air test would not have found this problem either.I've often found that it is next to impossible to simulate actual use situations with the part not in place artificially,myself.The hand pump was repaired with new o-rings,and a clean-up of mating surfaces.I would suggest against using heavier oil in the steering system,it might just get quite costly!!!

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing #7  
I never had any leaks on mine, but I would recommend (as Woodbeef) a general rebuild of the assembly, replacing O-Rings and seals (you can make your own if necessary), and a clean up of the mating surfaces. While the pump/steering gear housing is off, I would also run it by a machine shop and have the housing magnafluxed just to insure there are no unseen hairline cracks.
It wouldn't cost much, and the insurance is well worth the peace of mind.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by scruffy on 03/27/01 11:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Kubota L1500 Steering Housing
Thanks for the help folks. I think I have it fixed. I made a couple of new gaskets and made sure that all the seals were in good order. As a precaution, I coated the unseen/bottom portion with a spray-on rubber automotive undercoating. It has been repaired for a couple of weeks now and I haven't seen any evidence of any leaks.

Thank again,
Hertenstein