New tractor owner with lots of questions

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #1  

Saltydawg

Tractor
Kubota ZL1501 (L185)
Hello all, I am a new tractor owner, and I really do have lots of questions. I just bought a Zen noh (Kubota) ZL1501 from my uncle for $2250. It is in decent shape, but needs a little TLC. He only had it for about a month or so, he bought from a local John Deere retailer, where the owner was selling it for a friend. My uncle decided that it really was not what he wanted so he sold it to me. I have about 4 acres that I will be using it for some light bushhogging and moving/spreading dirt, as I will be building a house soon. I think that it will fit my needs just fine. So.. here are some of my questions:

1) What sort of maintenance should I do right away before I really start using the tractor? It has about 1300 hours on it.

2) What are R-4 tires and rice tires? The tires that I have on there look like regular Ag tires, though the ones on the front are quite worn and will probably need to be replaced soon.

3) My uncle lives about a mile away from me currently, so I just drove the tractor from his house to mine. After I arrived home I noticed some fluid leaking from under the gear shift. I am thinking that perhaps there are some bushings under the gear shift that need to be replaced, and the driving home at higher speed caused the fluid to leak, I have not noticed this when driving at lower speeds. Any advice on this?

I am in the process of acquiring some manuals for this tractor. Thanks for any and all help.

Saltydawg

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1) What sort of maintenance should I do right away...
2) What are R-4 tires and rice tires? The tires that I have on there look like regular Ag tires...
3)...noticed some fluid leaking from under the gear shift. ...
I am in the process of acquiring some manuals for this tractor. )</font>

Here are some comments that may help. I hope someone with better information can add to this.

First, don't go anywhere near a Kubota dealer! The US importer has declared war on unauthorized imports and a dealer might lose his franchise if he sells you parts. After you know what you are doing you can probably find a cooperative and descreet dealer. Canadian dealers may be your best source for parts, I don't think they have the same restrictions.

1) Immediate maintenance- Just the obvious, change the oil, top up fluids, check filters, tighten bolts.

2) R-4 tires look like ag tires but are a compromise for pavement or industrial use. Tougher rubber and a closer tread for longer pavement life, less mud traction. 'Rice' tires are like paddle wheels, for operating in a foot-deep rice paddy - look at the used Yanmars listed on Ebay. Best for mud, but an ag tire is better for US dry land operation.

3) Transmission fluid leak - I doubt its urgent, for now keep fluid levels up and wait until you know the tractor better.

manuals - You need to determine if your Kubota is a twin to a US model. If not, you my not find a manual in anything but Japanese.

I suggest to ask questions in the Kubota group. You will probably find someone there with detailed experience on this model.

You got a great price on that tractor. $6k for a thrashed older small Kubota was the best I've seen from a dealer.

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #3  
Like the other guy said - replace the filters and fluids. diesel filter if clogged will put stress on the fuel pump. Trans/hydro oil may contain water if the unit is left outside - replace and keep the unit in the barn when not in use. Leaking oil may be from the steering box. This can fill with water displacing the oil and leading to component failure. Drain and refill with SAE90 trans oil.

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First, don't go anywhere near a Kubota dealer! )</font>

If you do need to go to a Kubota dealer tell them you need parts for an L185. They are almost twins.

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #5  
I'll add one thing to the great advice you have gotten so far.

Tracotr tires are expensive.. and you only need to replace a tire if:

It won't hold air... I.E. leaks and can't be fixed.

Or if it is a drive tire ( front or back ) and it is worn enough to effect traction.

Smoothish front tires aren't too much a problem unless they give you a hard time steering.

Since tractor sppeds are REAL slow.. a blow-out isn't as catastrophic as when you are in a car doing 75mph down the interstate.

I pretty much let the tires on my tractor go untill they blow right off the rim... then they need replacing...

Soundguy

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions
Thanks for the tips guys! As far as tires go... should I consider replacing the rice tires with Ag tires? I dont see them being much of a problem for cutting brush, but when I start spreading dirt it seems like they could really make a mess.

Salty

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #7  
Unless you are doing gold course or finish lawn work.. leave them rice tires.. superb traction.. and heck.. it's only dirt!

Soundguy

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #8  
yah i agree the "rice" tires do just as good a job as ag tires in fact here where i live when it rains and gets mucky the red clay dirt the rice tires dig down about 4" or so to hard stuff and motor on not like ag tires..

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #9  
I used to own a zen noh and it would occasionally leak oil around
the gear shift as you described. Look for a small curved vent tube
on top of the rear differential either behind or under the seat.
This tube is notorious for clogging up with dirt which can cause
the oil leak you mentioned.

/ New tractor owner with lots of questions #10  
Saltydawg,

I have an L185 (basically the same as your 1501) and it has been a great tractor, you will enjoy yours.

In reply....
Maintenance....definately change the engine oil and filter, change the fuel filter, check the condition of the gear oil and top off, also check the gear oil in the steering box, water can leak around the steering wheel and down the tube that contains the steering shaft into the steering gear box.

Tires....looks like the other posters have good info..

Your gear oil leak....easy fix....under your seat, attached to the left side of the very top most part of the tractor frame/gear box is a vent tube for the gear box...looks sort of like a sideways 'J', it is probably plugged...it should unscrew from the housing and you can clean it out with a piece of wire....once the gearbox can breath again the leak should go away.

I noticed in another post you were looking for the gear box dipstick....there is no dipstick...but on the left side of the gear box case, about in line with the fill hole, is a plug screwed into the case. Remove the plug and add gear oil thru the fill hole until it starts pouring out of the hole on the side of the case. This brings up another subject with the older kubotas...the orginal spec. for the gear/hydraulic oil is 90wt gear oil not UDT hydraulic oil....I have talked to a couple kubota techs about this...their recommendation is to stay with the gear oil unless you add a loader or backhoe in which case the gear oil won't hold up under the added load/heat.

Have fun
Chris