Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
Does anyone on this board know anything about recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England to the United States. There is a guy near me that sells these tractors. He has a Massey Ferguson 390 tractor that could be around 70 PTO horsepower, that he wants to sell me for $15000.00. This tractor looks like brand new. It has a outstanding paint job on it. Everything on the outside of the tractor is new. It has all 4 new tires. I have driven this tractor, and it drives and handles like a new tractor. He also told me that the engine, transmission, and all inside parts of the tractor were redone with new parts if it needed it. Could this be a lie or not. Also, would the parts for these tractors be like the new Massey Ferguson tractors sold here in the United States, or would I have problems getting parts for these recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England here in the United States. The guy that sells these Massey Fereguson tractors calls these tractors recondition, and not grey market tractors. Looks to me like they are grey market tractors from England. I have never seen any post on this board about recondition Massey Ferguson tractors before, but have seen other brands of recondition tractors on this board.

Would it be good, or bad to buy this 390 recondition Massey Ferguson tractor from this guy for $15000.00. I thought about buying this tractor before I got on this board, and starting checking out the post about recondition tractors. At the present time, I am not sure about buying this tractor now.

I would appreciate anything about these recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from anyone on this board. Also, has anyone on this board bought any of these recondition tractors from England. If you have, was it a good buy, or a bad buy. I need to know more about these tractors here on the board. Thanks!

Cabinholler

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England #2  
I've seen a few 'TE' series ferguson tractors from england.. though no MF's.

Um.. 15k$ is a tad high.. Are you looking for that hp range for work? or are you in love with this tractor for a collector point of view? Wow.. I'll say that again.. 15k$ is high in my opinion.

If you simply need a a brute.. grab a domestic ag tractor.. they go for 3000$ and up. Our local MF dealer has a large brute.. something like 110HO for 7900$ on his lot.. full recondition.

Soundguy

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England #3  
I have never had the chance to look at them, but there is a company in England that has been doing this for many years and shipping world wide.

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England #4  
I don't know how old a 390 is so I don't know if that is a good price or not. I have received offers from England for used MF tractors, but they never appeared to be that great a deal. Since some of the US model MF tractors are made in Europe they may be a lot alike, but I don't know that for a fact. I know the JD tractors from England have different model #'s, which makes it hard to get parts without a parts book. The comment that I always heard about UK tractors was "they were ran hard & put away wet", which means they were worked & not taken care of. I don't know how true that is. They are a grey market tractor. If they were painted it was because they probably looked a lot worse in their origonal working clothes. If you buy it demand a parts book for it before the deal is done. I receive many calls for tractors or construction equipment that I can't get a parts book for. If I had the part #s , I could probably find the parts.

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England #5  
From 1982 and up all Massy's coming to the US were built in the UK. Previous to then the US tractors were built in Detroit, there were alot of differences in the tractors then, but when the US plant was closed and all the production started coming from England, the tractors were pretty much the same. Small differences like the ring & pinion were different to give the European model a higher road speed. The 390 was built from 87-88 to 97-98
Chuck M.

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England
I've seen a few 'TE' series ferguson tractors from england.. though no MF's.

Um.. 15k$ is a tad high.. Are you looking for that hp range for work? or are you in love with this tractor for a collector point of view? Wow.. I'll say that again.. 15k$ is high in my opinion.

If you simply need a a brute.. grab a domestic ag tractor.. they go for 3000$ and up. Our local MF dealer has a large brute.. something like 110HO for 7900$ on his lot.. full recondition.

Soundguy

Soundguy I was wanting a tractor this size to use on my farm. I am not a collector of old tractors. This 390 tractor I think was made in the 1990s but not sure. I live in Kentucky, and any brand of tractor this size sells for 10k, or more, and lot of them look like junk with worn out tires.

$15000.00 could be to high for this tractor. Although, if I knew if I could get parts here in the United States for this tractor, I would buy it. But, at the present time, I am unsure of buying any brand of a recondition tractor. Here where I live used tractors this size sell for around this price, and some are eat up in high hours.

I don't understand why used tractors are so high here in Kentucky. Actually, I could get by with a smaller PTO tractor than this 390 Massey Ferguson in the 50s PTO range. If I cannot find a good used tractor reasonally price, I am going to buy a new 6000 2wd Mahindra tractor, or if I go with a cab tractor, I will buy a DK65/C 4wd Kioti tractor. Both of these tractors are in the 50s PTO range. Also, the new 6000 2wd Mahindra, and the new DK65/C Kioti 4wd tractor with cab is the cheapest brand of new tractor that I can find here in Kentucky that is in the 50s PTO range.

Thanks for you reply to this post.

Cabinholler

JerryG thank you for your input about these recondition Massey Ferguson tractors.

Cabinholler

/ Recondition Massey Ferguson tractors from England #8  
You might try to find out what company did the work and contact them about what they do to recondition. Here is the company that I was referring to. Dumelow

ILens12 you could be right about these recondition Massey Fereguson tractors. Probably would not be a good buy on this 390 tractor at $15000.00. Although, this tractor looks like brand new, and drives like brand new. If a person looked at this tractor, and did not know it was a recondition tractor they would say it was a new tractor. It is one nice looking tractor, and with a outstanding paint job on it just like a new tractor sold here in the United States.

Thank you for your reply about this tractor.

Cabinholler

CMunger thank you for your input about these recondition Massey Fereguson tractors from England.

Cabinholler