Shibaura SP1540 Hydraulics Stuck Up!!!

/ Shibaura SP1540 Hydraulics Stuck Up!!! #1  

franklyspeaking

My hydraulics are stuck in the up position with the bush hog attached - most of the tractor weight is on the front wheels and bush hog wheel. I see a slight movement down when I actuate the joystick down, and then nothing. The up direction then moves slightly up and then strains (full up). I checked the downside of the control valve, and I get 12 volts when the actuator is down. Applying 12 volts to the down side yields nothing. The manuel over-ride switch also does not work. The up over-ride makes the system strain - seems okay.

Is my spool valve toast or am I missing something? It does seem that there could be something preventing it from going down, but I can't see anything?

Is there anything I can do to get the hydraulics to let the tractor down?

/ Shibaura SP1540 Hydraulics Stuck Up!!! #2  
Its an electrical problem allright. I have rewired a few of those shibauras,but afterwards im ready for the nut house.
Ill bet the 6 way switch went bad on it, I would replace it.(radio shack)

Also you can manually over ride it at the solenoid by pushing in on the small button on the end of it. I would spray a small amount of oil on the button , sometimes they get rusty & full of dirt.

I would try these things first before tearing in to it.
By the way, my shibaura days ended a long time ago
Ernie
Ernies Imports

/ Shibaura SP1540 Hydraulics Stuck Up!!!
Ernie - Thanks for the response but.....

If I disconnect the control wiring to the hydraulic control valve down side and measure voltage - I get 12 volts coming from the control box when the joystick is actuated in the down direction. This sounds normal to me. The manual over-ride switch also does not lower the hydraulics (it still has the rubber cover over it - it has worked in the past to lower the hydraulics, when I had inadvertantly switched the control box into another mode - can't read Japanese). The problem seems to be that the 12 volts from the control box does nothing to move the control valve. I will check the up side tonight, but my thinking is that I also will get 12 volts there when the joystick is in the up position.

My analysis is the control box is good, the control valve down side is bad. Is there anything that can be done to fix it or is it just find a replacement?

If I unbolt the control valve will the bush hog fall to the ground suddenly?

/ Shibaura SP1540 Hydraulics Stuck Up!!! #4  
Frank,
on the hyd. solenoid there 2 buttons, 1 on each end, if you push in on them HARD with a metal object it will bypass the electronics and lower or raise the 3 point.
You will be manually controlling it by hand then.
Also there is the hyd. adjustment control knob, that little wheel next to the seat, above the diff. pedal
Please let us know what happens when you do that with the engine running. Please do not stand under any implement when attempting this, it could drop REAL fast,and cause an injury ect...
Ernie
Ernie's Imports

As I have tried to communicate in the previous two posts, the manual over-ride (switch) to lower the hydraulics does not work. I have used a metal box end wrench to press on the switch, with the motor running to no avail. This switch has worked in the past. I have adjusted the little knob by the seat that you spoke of to the "quick acting" position, but no difference. Applying 12 volts directly to the solenoid wire (bypassing the joystick) also does nothing.

It seems to me that the solenoid that makes the valve move to the lowering position is not functioning. What can I do to get the hitch lowered, so that I can at least remove the bush hog and safely work on this system without fear of it falling suddenly. The tractor rear wheels are currently off of the ground and all of the weight is on the front wheels and the bush hog rear wheel. Very scary.

Thanks.

I solved the problem.

The right 3 point hitch pin was bent and it had put the hitch into a bind so that it would not allow the bush hog to go down. The hydraulics system evidently also only powers the hitch when going up, and depends on gravity to lower it. Next time I have trouble going down, I will look for something catching or binding, and not pay much attention to the hydraulics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif