Shibaura SD 1843

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #1  

Crosscut

Been looking at a t Shibaura SD 1843 4x4 3 cyl. deisel w/ endloader asking price $7k (recond).I dont know much about these tractors other than what the dealer is telling.I plan on using it around the homestead here and maybe to finish up on sitework around jobs.Anybody have any history/expierences with these tractors.?Thanks

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #2  
Read the pm I sent you

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #3  
If it looks like new & has close to zero hours, I wouldn't recommend it. I get a lot of parts calls on these "recondioned" tractors.

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #4  
Just ask anyone here. I own a Shibaura SD2200 4X4 and it only has 27 hours on it from being reconditioned. I have had more trouble with it that people did out of the Ford Pinto's. I would not recommend Shibaura. They have had my Shibaura in the shop since August 10, 2005 waiting on a part. I have about $7.000.00 tied up in a Yard Ornament with the Shibaura. Only 27 hours on it and the steering went out the first week I had it at about 15 hours...they keep it about 2 weeks, then on the third week I had it the ring gear went out on it and it still is in the shop since August 10th, 2005. I purchased it on July 9th, 2005.

Beware... I would NOT recommend a Shibaura. Parts must be very hard to get. Not to mention any warranty issues you might get into like I did.

Jim

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #5  
Shibaura’s are great tractors. Reconditioned Shibaura’s are exactly what they say they are "rebuilt junk". Another way to say reconditioned is salvaged. You can make a turd shine if you put enough shiny paint on it.
The 1843 is newer that the SD2200 and parts are still available.

Buck

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #6  
But this SD-1843 they are asking about is "Reconditioned"??

If so... just as bad a deal as my SD2200. Especially if hour meter has been reset or replaced. You won't know what you are buying. They really need to be careful buying a tractor that they stop making parts for. Then all that is available in parts is junk or scrap iron... what then? A tractor is a major purchase in my book and should last much longer than mine did. I guess I might have gotten a Bad Apple but I am not the only one that has had Bad Luck with the brand name Shibaura.

But a Tractor under any brand name should be a useful tool... Not a Lawn Ornament!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth. IMHO

Jim

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #7  
Jim,

I have probably read just about every post and response you've made from general tractor discussions to your horrible and personal purchase and on going litigation of your Shibaura.

Respectfully, your are a statistic, or victim (like many others) from a shyster peddler who made false claims and empty promises. An unscrupulous person who hasn't, nor will ever, resolve your problems IMO.

In just two years, there have been three dealers of reconditioned Japanese tractors in my area. I have walked their lots...and the units look very nice, but as the many buyers problems with breakdowns, and returns for repairs add up, and as the complaints mount up (with reports to BBB, attorney generals office, etc.) eventually they just fold up shop and leave. Or worse, one place north of me just changes it's name, and owner, every year or two.

From one owner and three Japanese used tractor importers, I've been told that the Shibaura tractor, when matched model to model, well out run, dig or power any tractor in it's class. These were honest opinions during casual conversations about CUT's and SCUT's, and although I've never owned one, I believe them because they are well established, reliable and customer service orientated dealers.

Again, just my opinion, but your situation has always been about the dealer and the reconditioned tractors he sells. Not about Sibaura.

Regards, Mark

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #8  
Ditto!

Jim your beef is with your dealer not with Shibaura. If you had bought a new Shibaura tractor and had these problems I would say the opposite but your tractor is over 35 years old +. I see your dealers junk all over eBay and his dealers junk all over eBay. It makes my teeth itch because I know they will be calling looking for parts and if I can’t get them they will blame it on the brand not the criminal they bought it from.

Take a 30 year old Mercedes that you find smashed and striped in a junk yard and send it to Vietnam to be refurbished. Then every time they need a part, buy another Mercedes that is similar in condition but with the part they need. Some parts you can’t find so those parts will be built by hand. In the end you have a nearly new looking Mercedes built with salvaged wrecked parts in a dirty lean too by a one dollar a day laborer with crap tools. Is it Mercedes fault when the reality is that it is a big piece of S!@#T? That is exactly how your tractor was built because I have seen them leave Japan for Vietnam, nothing but junk carcasses in piles.

When I found out your ring and pinion was discontinued I asked to buy a parts SD2200. Guess what they told me.. "None available, Vietnam has order for all we can find" So I asked if Vietnam was the reason that parts were being discontinued? They said “Vietnam doesn’t buy parts.. They make by hand what they can’t get on the tractors”

Buck

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #9  
I would agree but the parts of Shibaura were made of poor quality steel to start with. This makes Shibaura a lower quality tractor in my opinion. Unless they have improved thier quality... I would be afraid to but a brand new Shibaura. Not only because of poor quality steel and such but because of parts availability.

Yes I do have a beef with the dealer... but I also have a beef with the quality because with normal use as I was using my tractor... this part should have not went bad. You have seen the three teeth missing. Heres the catch... I saw NO metal shavings in the housing or any pieces of the teeth in the housing. I think they sold this tractor knowing the ring gear was bad. But if it wasn't bad... they should have been evidence of chewed up metal. So the possibility of a Refurbished Shibaura or what ever brand could be in the same shape. By the way I was told that the Shibaura was a late 80's model as you know. Which boils down to the dealer again. Seems like poor quality and Bad Dealer was my major problem.

By the way... from reading this post is the first I knew of your results in getting the ring gear. Thanks for the information. This will probably be good information for my attorney.

What I don't understand is why since they have the ring gear and it isn't totaly destroyed... why it can't be taken to a machinist and have one made. I would think a good machine shop could make this with ease.

I guess if you put good metal in with poor quality metal... you would have even more trouble. There must be a reason.

By the way... Re-Furbished is suppose to be put back like new I think. So even if 35 years old... my tractor should have been back like new or as close as it could. A tractor that did not last 27 hours must have not been in very good condition but was sold as Re-Furbished!. There again... this is why I am against refurbished tractors. I made a mistake purchasing one.... I just wanted to make sure that they knew the headaches that could present themselves if they chose to purchase one. YES... Shibaura and dealership left a bad impression. I feel it was the combination of both that was my problem. It could have been another brand of tractor with same dealer. It could have been another dealer with same tractor. Whatever the combination... Refurbished definately cause me personally a lot of headaches and still have a $7,000.00 Yard Ornament to deal with. Not a pretty picture nor is it something I would want anyone else to have to suffer through.

Jim

/ Shibaura SD 1843 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From one owner and three Japanese used tractor importers, I've been told that the Shibaura tractor, when matched model to model, well out run, dig or power any tractor in it's class. These were honest opinions during casual conversations about CUT's and SCUT's, and although I've never owned one, I believe them because they are well established, reliable and customer service orientated dealers. )</font>

I don't deny they seem to be a good hard working tractor. But the longevity of these tractors seem VERY SHORT! With a major investment of a tractor... you would expect to get your money's worth out of it. Lasting 27 hours with two major breakdowns (1st steering- 15 to 17 hours and 2nd ring gear - 27 hours) isn't my ideal of good service from a tractor and major investment. This is my experience with the Shibaura and a Bad Dealer. This is what they asked for... had anyone had experience with Shibaura. I was only stating my experience and hoping it would help them think about this investment before making it. I would not want anyone to experience what I have. Everyones money is valuable to them and just throwing it away is NOT an option in my book. I feel that I have done this with over $7,000.00 plus counting my expences trying to get my tractor repaired. So far my money has gotten me a $7,000.00 plus Yard or Lawn Ornament.

And the dealer still has it... so I don't even have the Lawn Ornament. So far $7,000.00 Plus and nothing to show for it.

Put yourself in my shoes and think about how it would feel to be done this way. Not a very good feeling is it??

Jim