Buying Advice New member/shopper seeks tractor advice

/ New member/shopper seeks tractor advice #1  

Homeline

Hello! My name is Cliff Boyer and I am in the beginning stages of shopping for a compact tractor for my mowing needs. Would like to also use a 48" blade for my driveway. I'm looking for a Japanese made, 2 or 3 cylinder 16-20hp diesel with a std 3 pt hitch and PTO. I don't need a loader and could go either way as to whether it's 2x4 or 4x4. Most all of my 2 lots (about 1.5 acres) is flat ground. I'm not to concerened about the type of transmission either. Would like to use a belly mower, but a 3pt finish is OK. Also, turf tire are a must. From what I see out there, I'll probably have to add those myself.

I'm leaning toward getting a Yanmar, Zennoh or Mitsubishi, but I'm not firm on that. (I am partial to the red on the Yanmars!) Whatever I get has to be in good condition (mechanical and apperance) and last at least as long as my old Simplicity has, and thats now going on 13+ years with no signs of slowing down. Parts and routine maintenance items must also be easily and readily available.

Been doing a little looking around on the web and have found some Yanmar models YM1601, YM1700 & YM1800 models in both 2x4 & 4x4. They seem to start at about $2800 to $4500 depending on model. This is within my budget (not including implements). Have browsed some dealers websites and the conditions vary from a passing visual imspection to new fluids, paint and stickers all the way to a complete overhaul. Warranties are just a broad, from the tail light guarantee to on place I found (RCO Tractor in TX) that has a 6 month warranty.

I have already browsed around here for about a week randomly searching. I'm just now posting beacuse today I got a registration verification email from here that authorizes me to post (that took a while to get!). Anyway, would really like to here thoughts and opinions on these models and others. Also on what makes and models to shy away from, for whatever reason.

Thanks for any and all info. Looking forward to getting some good advice.

Cliff

/ New member/shopper seeks tractor advice #2  
Welcome to TBN Cliff. I don't want to start bashing recon tractors, but read the fine print on those "complete overhaul" sites. Usually the paint is all that gets overhauled.
You might look at LMTC's site. Very dependable dealer in Ohio. Much closer to you than Texas. He has a YM1610 ( 3cly, 19 PTO HP, Powershift) which should more than suit your needs. On special now with ROPS and at $4000 is within your budget guidelines. He also still has that 1700B that I have been lusting over for $3500 with ROPS. I would be riding that one right now if I hadn't found a 2000B closer to home. I can't say enough good about the "B" series Yanmars, but, sadly, some folks don't care for the sound of a 2 cylinder. That one would clean up well.
Personally, I think you are much better off to get a clean original paint tractor if you can. I, too, like that Yanmar red and it cleans up nicely with a little light rubbing compound and a good cleaner-wax. It will last much longer than a new paint job designed simply to sell the tractor.

Bruce

/ New member/shopper seeks tractor advice #3  
Cliff, I would strongly recommend you skip all the 'recon' tractors you see on ebay. Too many of them are scams based on my observation. If you want to buy a used Japanese grey market tractor then please do yourself a huge favor and buy it from a dealer who can & will support you. As you are located in Illinois, there is a very reputable dealer located within a few hundred miles of you called Little Miami Trading Company. They have a website, you can do a simple google search to find them. They are located in Ohio and the guy you need to speak with is Wayne. He posts here on these forums as LMTC. If you want a wider selection, then look for another member who is also a straight shooter and a grey market dealer who has a great reputation, he is TractorErnie and located on the west coast.

Both of these guys will get you what you want, both will recommend things that you might need but not know you need, and both will support you after the sale. Parts support, and repair advice are critical to a good grey market dealer.

/ New member/shopper seeks tractor advice #4  
1700B is sold, but we have some very sweet specials coming up on 1610Ds (19hp, 4wd, Powershift, 3cyl) and 2210s (2wd, 26hp, Powershift, 2 cyl) delivered. Email me for details.

And please remember, all our tractors are UTDA certified. ROPS, PTO shield, overruning clutch, safety start switch, english decals, INCLUDED. Oh yes, and 6 months warranty....for a tractor brought directly from Japan, processed in the US, necessary repairs made. Not "reconditioned" somewhere else.

/ New member/shopper seeks tractor advice
I have already looked over the LMTC site and found those models mentioned. Nothing wrong with the sound of a 2 cylinder diesel! Matter of fact, I plan on using a 2 cylinder diesel Lister clone when I build a back up generator. I'll contact Wayne and bend his ear some.

While a good place to look, I don't think I'd buy one off ebay, at least not without looking at it in person first. I agree about seeing a tractor in the 'flesh' before paint and polish are applied. I'm not above to cleaning one up and painting myself either, but the mechanical condition has to be excellent.

I'm familiar with service and parts issue on grey market cars. I've got a German convertible that was not made for the US market. A good parts supplier is important. And the internet is just as important a tool as well. With out it I would not think about owing anything grey market.

Cliff