Buying Advice Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #1  

ruready1

Tractor
Ford 8N
Hello,
We're needing to replace our 8N with something that has more traction (BIG hills here!). Does anyone have a recommendation of a unit (gray market) that has a locking rear? Or would you recommend going with a 4x4? It'll be used for mowing, light farm work and snow plowing on 8.5AC of RIDGELINE. The neighbors advised my wife to buy a 4x4 SUV by winter mainly for our driveway!

Thanks for your time,
Mike

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #2  
I'd definitely go with a 4x4, you will never regret that. Mine (Yanmar) also has a differential lock when needed. One problem you may have with a grey market tractor though is that they tend to be high off the ground and narrow, which means tippy. The larger the tractor though, the more width, too. If it doesn't have a ROPS, don't buy until you can find out if one is available for it. Many Yanmars now have available ROPS and Yanmars have good parts availability and support. Wayne at LMTC sells all his tractors with ROPS and PTO shields. He is a reputable dealer with an excellent reputation. Might want to give him a call or email.

Little Miami Trading Company - Compact Tractors

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #3  
Looks like this might be a good source for a ROPS. Don't operate a tractor without one!

Hercules - Home

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #4  
Mike,
A Yanmar is your best bet in the gray market arena. There are other good grays out there, but Yanmar has the best parts support. Look to 4x4 for snow and hills. Ballast can also be added to the tires for extra stability.

Bruce

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #5  
I am not aware that the Hercules ROPS meets, or even claims to meet, the relevant OSHA standard which I believe is 1928.52. Last I read on their site they make some claim that the engineering firm itself can certify the ROPS, but I could not find a specific standard to which they claim to be certified. Ours are certified to meet OSHA 1928.52.

Yanmar far and away has the best parts support of the various gray brands. Never seen one without a locking rear differential. 2wd with the differential locked has some awesome pulling power. Just depends on what a person needs the tractor to do.

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #6  
If your neighbors recommend a 4x4 SUV to get up the steep slippery driveway, then I think you will prefer a 4x4 tractor to keep that driveway open in the worst weather.

A powered front axle can climb sideways up a slippery side-slope or out of a ditch better than 2x4.

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N
Thanks folks! We were torn between the Chinese imports (she liked the idea of a new tractor "warranty") and the Yanmar (I liked the looks and Japanese quality). Sounds like as soon as I can get the 8N sold, I'll be seeing the fine folks in Ohio!

Just one question, what recommendations would you have on HP? How much is enough? Looking at the ratings, they seem tiny (much less than the rated HP of the 8N). I know that I'll be able to use more (better traction) and the torque curve is different (diesel vs gas) but I don't want to end up with something that can't do the work. I'm used to seeing 18HP on the side of my MTD lawn tractor, not the "big tractor"! It'll need to do A LOT of bushhogging, light dirt/gravel/manure removal and spreading, light grading, snow plowing and lifting with a FEL (I'm addicted to these!).

Thanks again,
Mike

Last edited:
   / Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #8  
I was in the same place 4 years ago, looking to replace my 8N.

The 8N is one of the most stable tractors I have used. It has a low center of gravity because of the wide wheel base and a mass of metal below the axle centers.

Most all compact utility tractors of the same horse power have a higher center of gravity. You can move the wheels out on most CUT's but then they extend beyond the width of the FEL.

I purchased my replacement tractor based on horse power figuring the 8N to be around 28 hp. so I got a 30 hp. tractor. There was a slight weight difference between new and old, the 8N was heavier by a few pounds so 4WD in the new tractor was necessary to use it's horse power.

The feature I like most is power steering, anyone using a tractor with a FEL and no power steering knows what I am talking about. Most newer tractors develop their horse power and torque at a higher RPM than the older tractors do. It took a while for me to get comfortable to this.

Remember the 8N is in the utility tractor range not the compact utility class.
I really like my new tractor and I think you will too.

Randy

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #9  
What many compact diesels will lack that the 8N has is weight. App. 2700# in most configurations I believe. Most of our customers who have replaced an 8N have opted for a 2210 (app. 2200# in 4wd, app. 2650# w/loader)....some have gone bigger. Depends a lot on their intended use. If lawn mowing with a finish mower is part of the agenda, one doesn't want to go much bigger than the 2210 (26hp vs. 25-27 on the 8N depending on which stats one uses) The 2210 will work all day pulling a rotary cutter or anything else if the implement is properly matched to the tractor.

In our early days, when we had some time and no money, I needed to prepare and gravel a new area as the business expanded. About 60 x 80 (the lot behind the barn for those of you who have been here). Used a tiller, box blade, and FEL on a YM2210D and cut the whole area to about 6" deep, cleaned it, and moved all the dirt to a pile off the edge of this area on a weekend. Next weekend I had 80+ tons of gravel delivered. Trucks could not get into this area yet, so I had it dumped along side the barn. Huge pile. Spent that weekend moving it and spreading it with the box blade. All with a 2210D and FEL. Added another top layer later. Point being...the 2210D will do just about anything one could want with a properly matched implement. Won't do it as fast as a 40HP unit, but it is more maneuverable and will go places a larger unit won't go (like in a barn or stall).

Best bet...see a reputable established dealer who will take the time to discuss your intended uses and needs and help you make the best overall match possible.

/ Advice needed: Replacement for Ford 8N #10  
ruready1 said:
Hello,
We're needing to replace our 8N with something that has more traction (BIG hills here!). Does anyone have a recommendation of a unit (gray market) that has a locking rear? Or would you recommend going with a 4x4? It'll be used for mowing, light farm work and snow plowing on 8.5AC of RIDGELINE. The neighbors advised my wife to buy a 4x4 SUV by winter mainly for our driveway!

About 10 years ago we made a big mistake and moved from the country into town. Over the years I had several Ford N-series tractors, or similar, along with a number of other "vintage" American gasoline engine tractors. We sold all our "country toys" when we moved, including the last 8-N.

It didn't take long, and we were longing for the country. We moved. We again needed a tractor, but I didn't want anymore tractors older than me. My brother recommended a Yanmar, and I bought a YM1500 (18 hp / 2WD). I found that it was able to do everything my old Fords, JDs, and Allis-Chalmers would do. But, it was much better. It needed virtually no regular repairs. It started everytime I wanted to use it -- even at -10 F. It barely sipped any diesel fuel at all. It was stronger than 10 oxen. With the "rice paddy" tires, it was much better in the snow than any of my old Fords.

Over the past nine years I've had several other small Japanese diesel tractors.

I'd highly recommend 4WD. A 20 - 30 hp 4WD diesel is a perfect machine for what you are looking to do. As others have said, the grey market Yanmars have great support. Yanmar is probably the only grey market I'd buy again. But, there are also a lot of used non-grey market small Japanese diesel tractors out there, like Kubota's, Deeres, Masseys, Allis-Chalmers, Cub Cadets, etc. There are also a lot of good deals on new tractors -- several manufacturers are offering substantial discounts and 0% financing for 3 years.

I maintain 25 acre and 7 acre parcels, with over a half-mile of gravel mountain driveways (that get lots of snow), several acres of brushhogging, etc., and lots of other miscellaneous tasks. I do it with a little Mahindra 20 hp 4x4 that came with a front-end loader. It does a much better job than any of my older and bigger tractors ever thought about doing. It sips about a half-gallon of diesel per hour. It is very stable, with a low center-of-gravity. It has lots of leg room. With the FEL and loaded rear R4 tires, its weight is only a few hundred pounds less than an 8-N with loaded tires. Even without chains, it doesn't know the meaning of "getting stuck."

Good luck,
Knute

P.S. I think most all tractors, 2WD or 4WD, have locking rears.