Tell me about Hinomoto tractors

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #1  

passgas55

Bronze Member
Tommorrow I am going to look at some Hinomoto tractors. I have been doing research on Yanmar tractors but know nothing about Hinomoto tractors. Parts hard to get? Any certain model to stay away from? These tractors are in the 20 to 26 hp range. Wanted to add that I will be mowing 3 acres and would love to go withy a 4' rotory cutter. Also some grading the drive way.
Thanks

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #2  
passgas55 said:
Parts hard to get?

Yes. Nothing wrong with Hinomotos inherently, but ask yourself why most established dealers in the grey market don't handle them. Parts. Can you get some parts? Yes. Can you get most critical parts for select models? I don't know. Are they even remotely as available as parts for Yanmar? Not even close.

We can get pistons, sleeves, rods, rod bearings, rings, head gaskets, starters, alternators, radiators and more for virtually every Yanmar model we sell.

I know there are others with more experience with Hinomoto who may be able to give you a more detailed (and perhaps rosier :) ) response. Best of luck whatever you do.

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #3  
I have had one for 22 years, it's an Allis Chalmers, bought it new and have only had one repair in it's life, pivot bearing in the front spindle. Nice machine always starts and does the job. Some of them have aluminum bellhousings and may not be best suited for a loader. As far as parts go, haven't needed anything beyond regular maint. stuff. Not sure if Hino is in business, thought they went out in the late 80's. I have thought about another machine and would go with the Yanmar for parts support, if the Hino parts are that plentiful everyone is keeping it a secret. Parts for Yanmar gray's look well advertised.

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #4  
I love the Hinomotos and I have had a few. They originally built tractors for Massey Ferguson and Allis Chalmers/Deutz Allis and a handful of tractors for Simplicity. There are a few out there that are very close cousins to the Masseys and AC's. I had the gears strip out in 2 different E2304 Hinomotos. I was able to buy the main and pinion gear for my Hinomoto at a local Massey Dealer. Then a customers tractor had the same thing happen, I went and bought another gear set and it didn't fit. There were I think, three different gears that were put into that model alone. Luckily I had a good MF dealer in town that was patient and enjoyed selling me $500 worth of gears. The guy with the broke gears also broke his bell housing. He really abused his tractor though. Want some more stories? Like I said, I really like them but if you don't know your grey market tractors and don't have a good dealer that knows his parts, you would be advised to go with a Yanmar.

passgas55 said:
Tommorrow I am going to look at some Hinomoto tractors. I have been doing research on Yanmar tractors but know nothing about Hinomoto tractors. Parts hard to get? Any certain model to stay away from? These tractors are in the 20 to 26 hp range. Wanted to add that I will be mowing 3 acres and would love to go withy a 4' rotory cutter. Also some grading the drive way.
Thanks

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #5  
I've owned Hinomotos now for going on 7 years. It was Brent that got me interested. They're tough tractors and I haven't needed anything that I couldn't get. I also have a very helpful MF dealer. Having said that, if parts concern you, you need to go with Yanmar. If you do go with Hinomoto, stay with the 3 cylinder models.

Eugene

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #6  
I just had a customer come in with a MF 1020 (Hinomoto), wanting to trade.
He said he had gotten all the parts he needed to do anything he wanted to it.
He had just went clear through it and paint etc.
I told him I wasn't real interested in it as a trade.
I like to be able to support even the used stuff I sell.
He mentioned that he just put new brakes on it and they were 400 a side!!
Don't know if the local Massey dealer raped him or if that's just the regular price.
I agree they are nice tractors though.

BTI

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #7  
I heard or read someplace that Hinomoto was bought out by Kubota some years ago. To me, that speaks volumes! If Kubota had that much respect for them, they must be good!

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #8  
I've been able to get brakes for $135 a side but I can have them relined at NAPA for $75 both sides.

Eugene

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #9  
WOW I kind of thought the dealer might have been raking him.
Of course he might have stretched it a bit....
He probably didn't think of relining.

BTI

/ Tell me about Hinomoto tractors #10  
BTI said:
He mentioned that he just put new brakes on it and they were 400 a side!!
Don't know if the local Massey dealer raped him or if that's just the regular price.

BTI

You have to watch the AGCO family of dealers. Massey is owned by AGCO. Here is what happened to me. I went to the Massey dealer for a PTO shaft for a Hino E2304(MF 1030). The shaft is 2 piece. One piece was about $250, the other piece was about $850. I go across town to the AGCO-Allis dealer. Hinomoto built tractors for both MF and A-C. I find the part in their micro-fiche and they quoted me $175 for the $850 part. After being on back order for a month I finally had a friend of mine get the OEM Hinomoto part out of Japan for around $90 including shipping. I had it in 2 weeks.