Price Check Hinomoto C174 - Price?

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
I see locally a Hinomoto C-174 4wd, with 400 hours. (4 digit meter, so this appears accurate). It looks original with some fading and scratches but no rust etc. Sounds like new. The seller can add a Koyker loader.

How much should this cost with loader?

With only 18 inch rear tires it's not very tall. It should go under orchard trees better than my present tractor.

I see there were Allis and Simplicity import versions, so is there reasonable parts support?

Any comments? Will this pull a 48 inch mower uphill in wet heavy grass? Are there better alternatives for a low-profile tractor in this price range?

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #2  
I think this is one of the best low profile tractors available. 17 PTO hp, 22hp engine. Look how big a Yanmar 1700 is. I just sold one of these for $3000. Add about $2500 for a loader. Parts for the C174 have not been a problem for me. One of the better ones for availability. They share some external parts with an MF1010 and are identical to an AC5015(with exception of the PTO)

Eugene

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #3  
I attached a photo of one I sold about six months ago on e-bay. It went for exactly $2500. As I recall, it had 1170 hours on it.

A while back I posted how to download free user's manuals and a parts manual at the link listed below. I think it was posting #7.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/grey-market-tractors/87036-hinomoto-c174-brake-set-lock.html

I bought the little tractor knowing it had some issues, mostly seals and broken three-point hitch issues. I had no problem getting any parts at my local AGCO/Massey dealer. I just told them it was an Allis 5015. The parts were a little expensive, but I got everything I needed within two days -- if they didn't have the parts in stock.

The tractor was tough as nails. With the rear tires filled, it was a really heavy tractor for its size. I used it for lots of things, but especially for skidding logs. But, I also brush hogged about 5 hilly acres with a 48-inch Howse mower, I maintained over a half-mile of gravel driveway with a 5-foot blade, I dug a lot of holes with a post hole digger, and I moved a lot of dirt and wood using a 30-inch rear scoop.

There just isn't much leg room and that is the primary reason I got rid of it. I am nearly 60. My knees always hurt after a day of getting on and off of the thing. I was really worried about getting my foot caught, and falling, when trying to get off of it.

Good luck,
Knute

Attachments

• Main - Side.JPG
    Main - Side.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 7,135
Last edited:
   / Hinomoto C174 - Price? #4  
knute_m said:
I attached a photo of one I sold about six months ago on e-bay. It went for exactly $2500. As I recall, it had 1170 hours on it.

A while back I posted how to download free user's manuals and a parts manual at the link listed below. I think it was posting #7.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/grey-market-tractors/87036-hinomoto-c174-brake-set-lock.html

I bought the little tractor knowing it had some issues, mostly seals and broken three-point hitch issues. I had no problem getting any parts at my local AGCO/Massey dealer. I just told them it was an Allis 5015. The parts were a little expensive, but I got everything I needed within two days -- if they didn't have the parts in stock.

The tractor was tough as nails. With the rear tires filled, it was a really heavy tractor for its size. I used it for lots of things, but especially for skidding logs. But, I also brush hogged about 5 hilly acres with a 48-inch Howse mower, I maintained over a half-mile of gravel driveway with a 5-foot blade, I dug a lot of holes with a post hole digger, and I moved a lot of dirt and wood using a 30-inch rear scoop.

There just isn't much leg room and that is the primary reason I got rid of it. I am nearly 60. My knees always hurt after a day of getting on and off of the thing. I was really worried about getting my foot caught, and falling, when trying to get off of it.

Good luck,
Knute

Knute,

Thanks for the links (they still work) and the information about your Hinomoto. My F-I-L just bought a C174 w/FEL to use on his 3 acres, and one issue that has come up is the size implements he can use. There is only about 16 inches between the balls on the lift arms, and that isn't enough for normal Category 1 implements. He is going to swap the real wheels/tires to widen his stance, but according to the Operators Manual (thanks again), this will only add about 6 inches of clearance. Did you use a regular 4' Howse shredder, or will he need to be looking for "estate" category implements?

Attachments

• SSPX0743.jpg
    SSPX0743.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 7,775
   / Hinomoto C174 - Price?
I think most Howse implements allow you to put the 3-points pins pointing to the inside. That might do it.

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #6  
BillG_in_TX said:
Knute,

Thanks for the links (they still work) and the information about your Hinomoto. My F-I-L just bought a C174 w/FEL to use on his 3 acres, and one issue that has come up is the size implements he can use. There is only about 16 inches between the balls on the lift arms, and that isn't enough for normal Category 1 implements. He is going to swap the real wheels/tires to widen his stance, but according to the Operators Manual (thanks again), this will only add about 6 inches of clearance. Did you use a regular 4' Howse shredder, or will he need to be looking for "estate" category implements?

Bill,
Be careful with the loader. That tractor has an aluminum bellhousing and transmission case on it. I had one and was going to put a loader on it but the dealer explained that if it wasn't tied into the rear axle assembly it might bust the housing and the major $$$$$$$. He was speaking from experience as he had one there (MF 1010) in two pieces. Otherwise a stout tractor for it's size. I ran it 4 years with no problems and no loader.

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #7  
California & barneyrb,

Thanks for the replies. The loader will be used lightly, so I don't expect that to be a problem. We will remeasure the space between the lift arms after swapping the real wheels and before buying any implements.

I'll let my F-I-L know what you had to share.

Thanks!

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #8  
I still would be VERY cautious about the loader. I have an A-C 5020 which is the next larger cousin to this and after many phone calls to Koyker, they said they would not even tell me a model of their loader that might fit because they had so many complaints about broken bell housings. BTW mine has one threaded socket broken out ... fortunately not through, but I suspect a previous owner had a small loader on it and ...

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #9  
BillG_in_TX said:
California & barneyrb,

Thanks for the replies. The loader will be used lightly, so I don't expect that to be a problem. We will remeasure the space between the lift arms after swapping the real wheels and before buying any implements.

I'll let my F-I-L know what you had to share.

Thanks!

I will agree, if it doesn稚 have a full sub frame on the loader mount from the rear axle to the loader brackets add in right away. Without it, it is not a matter of "if" it will break but "when". Also check your front tire size, it should be a 5-14. We have seen a lot of incorrect tire sizing on the salvaged veitcon machines.

Buck

/ Hinomoto C174 - Price? #10  
Buck,

I see that you have a C174 with a loader for sale, so I guess yours has the subframe? I don't think my FIL's has one, but I'll make sure he sees this. By the way, his does have 5-14 front tires.

Thanks.