Picking up a Kutoba L2601

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601 #1  

kumichou

Tractor
Kubota L2601
I just put money down on a 2WD Kubota L2601. It has 1016 hours, comes with a 5' King Kutter finish mower, 6' Blade, a boom crane and looks terrific. About the only thing I need to do is replace the air filter & rear tires. The rice patty ag tires are splitting in places on the main tire surface.

I'd like to get a loader for it eventually and would like recommendations on brand. Also, does anyone know what the American equivalent model of the L2601 is? The unit currently has NAPA filters on it, so I can figure out replacements, but I'd like to know in case of major part replacement.

I plan on picking it up later this week, so I'll have to post some pics.

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601 #2  
There is no direct cross. I take it you are aware that US Kubota dealers are under strict regulation from Kubota USA not to sell any parts for grey market Kubotas? We quit selling them 10 years ago because the parts supply is marginal.

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601
Yeah, I saw that on their site. Kubota is the only company to take legal action & make it illegal to import the tractors. I looked at quite a bit of paperwork from the previous owner (receipts, Japanese owners manual, Japanese parts manual, etc) for places he had gotten parts from. However, my understanding was that he gave the Japanese part numbers, and the places he dealt with got the parts he needed. My mileage may very well vary.

I was interested in its counterpart since it'd be easier to go to a local dealer, ask for the American parts & do the labor myself then deal with Joe Sixpack Gray Market Tractor Sales in another state over the phone. Sounds like that's my option since there's no direct correlation stateside like there is for some other gray Kubota models.

This probably won't be too much different an experience than trying to get parts for my '82 Yamaha motorcycle or my Dad's Fordson Super Major Diesel.

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601 #4  
FWIW, we used to do that too....I need a widget for a 1978 Lxxx and give the domestically sold model number. Then that Kubota dealer, and most others we contacted, started wanting serial numbers. It became apparent to us they were serious enough about this that we did not want to deal in them anymore. I'm sure some parts can be had some places....but I won't build a business on that, not when the parts for the grey Yanmars are so readily available aftermarket....our catalog is now over 5,000 parts for them. Good luck. Some Canadian K dealers might be more helpful.

Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601 #6  
I own an L2601-4WD.

I just ordered replacement parts from a dealer in Korea. No hastle except the money tranfer fee. I have not got he parts yet so I'll comment when I get them.

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601 #7  
There is no need to order parts from Korea for a Japanese tractor. I can supply you with parts from either US or Japanese sources..

I picked up the tractor on Monday night, and have already cut my 4 acre lawn for this week inbetween storms. Works terrific, though a bit cramped after a while as I'm 6'7". I'll have to modify the seat mounts to move the seat back more. The wife likes driving it which is a plus :)

lens12 & TWoods, do either of you happen to know how many quarts/liters the 2601 engine needs for oil? The cap on the engine says 10W-30 oil, but I didn't translate the entire thing to see if it happens to say the volume or not.

Also, it appears I should replace the radiator cap. What pressure rating do I need on the cap?

I also may have a Farm Show type of solution to replacing the rear ag tires. My dad is going to junk his combine, so I may be able to adapt the 13.6x24 tires & rims to fit the hub on the 2601. If so, I'll have to post pics of the conversion.

/ Picking up a Kutoba L2601 #9  
Lens12,

I'll keep you in mind... I'm sure I'll need more parts someday. My next purchase will probably be front tires. 7-14 Ag Lug... It has Kumho on it now ( tube type).

kumichou,

I changed my oil last summer but can't remember how much. I think the manual lists 5.8L (6.12 quarts) and also lists 15W-40... Not sure about the pressure for the radiator cap, I'll check tomorrow and see if it list the pressure on mine.

I got the parts today.

I've used my tractor two years now and love it. I think it's under rated at 26hp. I cut grass with a 6 foot JD Bushhog with the PTO in mid-range and 1800-1900 engine RPM.

If you GOOGLE EARTH - you can see some of my handy work @ lat=34.6628192898, lon=-81.5867230351. That is last years cut area, this year it's about double. It's a spot for a Boy Scouts Troop to set up camp. The guy I rent from has 2400 acres with about 600 acres in hay. I get to keep things trimmed up nice...