Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions

/ Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions #1  

CSH

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425
My dad recently came into a Zen-noh ZL2201 tractor with only 493 hrs. It is 2wd with 3 cyl diesel, 4 speed PTO, and 3 pt hitch with hydraulic lift. The previous owner claims the engine produces 24hp. I starts easily and runs great. My understanding is this is a gray market Kubota L2201. It will be used primarily for brush hogging, rototilling, and pulling a finishing mower. My questions are:

1) What is the most similar US Kubota tractor (for operator's and parts manuals)? I was told on another forum that the L245 would be the best bet.

2) I assume that it has non-live PTO. I was surprised that the PTO shaft spins when the clutch pedal is released with the PTO lever in "N". Does this happen only because no implement is attached? Any ideas?

3) I assume it does not have an overrunning clutch on the PTO shaft. How can I test it without attaching an implement? Where is the best place (parts & service wise) to purchase an overrunning clutch, and how much trouble is installation?

Thanks in advance for any information.

/ Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions #2  
CSH

Not real sure, but I have a manual for a L245 as it is the closest thing to the L185 which my Grey L1501 is a copy of.

The L245 is a 3 cyl version of the L185 which is 2 cyl.

From your description is sounds like it could be the L245.

Re: the PTO - Mine "spins" when the PTO gear is in neutral but it is only vibrations or gear oil circulation that does it. CAREFULLY !!! try and stop the PTO with a stick or your boot or something, I am sure it will stop but be very careful in case something is wrong. It should stop with only light pressure but yes, it looks as if it is turning properly.

If it is an L245 it won't have an overrun clutch. Not sure how to test but I think if it has an overrun clutch, when in gear and engine not running, you should be able to turn it by hand in one direction.

I have an external overrun clutch on mine for use with my slasher (bush hog) and seems to work fine. Was about $150 Australian.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers

/ Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions
njrqs, thanks for your help. What does the L245 manual specify for the PTO speeds? I assume the lowest speed is 540. Anythng in particular to be aware of in terms of maintenance other than changing the oil and filters?

/ Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions #4  
CSH

L245 specifies a 3 speed PTO, but like my grey copy of an L185, you have 4.

Yes I belive 1st is still a 540rpm PTO. I think you should have a mark on your tacho.

Is your tacho a nice old fashioned looking thing with an oil and chargo light built in? Has a trapezoidal shaped fuse box cover to it's left?

Ignition key control the lights?

If so, it sounds like a L245. My neighbour has one and it is the same as my L185 copy but with 3 cyl.

Is yours a 4wd or 2wd?

No I checked around for maintenance tips and all seems OK. I have changed my gearbox oil but didn't clean the screen. Sounded too hard !

Just be careful, you probably don't have a water pump, and the water just circulates by the thermosyphon principal. Need to ensure your radiator and screen in front are kept real clean and the fan and belt are in A1 condition.

Send a pic if you have one.

Attached is my L1501. Should look similar but smaller than yours ?

Hey edit your profile so we can see more about you ??

Cheers

Attachments

• 24-109144-Mvc-197f.bmp
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,371
   / Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions #5  
Neil,
If I recall there a website call 'Gray Market' Kubota Tractor
It gives tid bits on such models.

njrqs,

>Yes I belive 1st is still a 540rpm PTO. I think you should >have a mark on your tacho.

Don't recall seeing one, but everything else in your description is dead on, so it's probably there.

>Is your tacho a nice old fashioned looking thing with an oil and chargo light built in? Has a trapezoidal shaped fuse box cover to it's left?

Yep.

>Ignition key control the lights?

Yep.

>Is yours a 4wd or 2wd

2wd.

>No I checked around for maintenance tips and all seems OK.

That's good. I've done quite a bit of 'net searching for common problems with the L245 and didn't turn up much. Sometimes lack of information is a good thing.

>Need to ensure your radiator and screen in front are kept >real clean and the fan and belt are in A1 condition

I'll be sure to keep that checked.

>Send a pic if you have one.

No pic yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

>Attached is my L1501. Should look similar but smaller than >yours

The picture has transmitted as a black and white outline sketch. If you can, try sending the picture directly to my email address.

>Hey edit your profile so we can see more about you ??

Done.

Do you allow your L1501 to warm up for a few minutes before using it? What does the manual say in regards to warmup? What are the manual's recommendations on changing engine oil and gear oil?

Thanks again.

/ Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions #7  
Here is pic again

Doesn't actually say anything about warmup. I let mine idle for a minute or 2 but here we are around 20-30 degrees C all the time so no worries.

Says to change engine oil every 75 hours. I do mine once a year and may only do 10-20 hours in that year.

Says to change transmission oil every 300 hours. - Wow !!

Hope all goes well !!

Cheers

Attachments

• 24-109320-Mvc-197f.jpg
    24-109320-Mvc-197f.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,630
njrqs, the photo you posted looks identical to the Zen-noh with the exceptions of Zen-noh labels on the cowling and signal lights on the fenders. All of the labeling for the controls is in Japanese.

I'll try to get some pics out here soon. Sounds like you're taking good care of that tractor.

Regards

/ Zen-noh ZL2201 (Kubota L2201) Questions #9  
Glad to see you have identified it now.

What's the go ith Zen-Noh anyway? Why is it not a Kubota?

Apparently Zen-noh is just a distributor of sorts for used Japanese Kubotas that were manufactured for the Japanese market. They don't actually manufacture anything and have no agreement with Kubota. If you look at the Kubota webpage you will find an explanation of gray market tractors. Kubota USA frowns on the importation of gray market units (like the Zen-noh), primarily because they lose money. Kubota touts safety issues (no ROPS or overrunning clutch) and parts incompatibility with the gray market units.