Roll Baling with a 4320

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #1  

ChrisJD4320

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
Just bought a New Holland BR7050 round baler! All I can say is WOW!!! I'm a sucker for the 0%/36mo financing anyway, but after my wife helped me with putting close to 1000 small square bales in the barn, she was more than happy to agree to the purchase. I was worried that the 4320 would not "handle" a round baler (as some had warned), but my fears were totally unfounded. The tractor has tons of power and with filled rear wheels it is perfectly stable. The BR7050 is a 4X4 but I belive the 4320 could easily handle a 4X5 baler. I also bought a 5 wheel rake and a 2 wheel rotary tedder for our 22 acres. Now I have to decide on a mower. Making hay is FUN!!!

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #2  
Good for you Chris.

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #3  
JD's literature claims the 4000 Twenty series tractors have a dry weight of 3,700lbs. Add oil, fluids, and the molasses in the rear tires and I'll bet the "wet" weight of your tractor is well over 5,000lbs. Probably closer to 5,500lbs.

That should be more than enough weight to stabilize your tractor.

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #4  
It does sound like lots of fun. Maybe you could post up some pics of your haying equipment in action?

Take care.

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #5  
Chris -- bravo! Jump in there and show the doubters and nay-sayers what for!!

I don't know anything about the model of baler that you're using. What does the manufacturer recommend as the minimum HP?

I know that Greyfields has a round baler behind his 4120 but I think it's quite a bit smaller (produced bale size and wt.) than a 4'x4' bale. What is the average wt. of the bales that you're turning out?

Thanks. A couple of pics would be great, too!

AKfish

/ Roll Baling with a 4320
It's funny...The sales literature says 40 PTO HP minimum. Which is exactly what my 4320 has. When I got it home I was reading the owner's manual and it said 35 PTO HP minimum. I guess the lawyers make them exagerate the HP needed in the sales lit.

I am not making very big bales yet. The manual says the best way to break in the belts is by making smaller bales for the first 30-50 bales. I've only made 10 so far. It says the bales can be as heavy as 750 lbs. The ones I've made were maybe 500 lbs.

I would be happy to share pics. I am cutting 3 acres of alfalfa 7/17 so I will take some pics as I progress. I will need to learn how to post them.

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #7  
do you have a bale spear for your loader? if so, how does it handle?

/ Roll Baling with a 4320
I have the Frontier spear that has 3 narrow spears all of equal length. It works awesome. I got that one because it can move round bales PLUS large square bales. I also have a spear on the 3 point. No problems moving bales at all. We've found the designated loader spear that mounts to the ends of the loader arms is better than spears that bolt on to the bucket. It is more manueverable in a tight barn. I paid around $500 but it's worth it.

/ Roll Baling with a 4320 #9  
ChrisJD4320 said:
I have the Frontier spear that has 3 narrow spears all of equal length. It works awesome. I got that one because it can move round bales PLUS large square bales. I also have a spear on the 3 point. No problems moving bales at all. We've found the designated loader spear that mounts to the ends of the loader arms is better than spears that bolt on to the bucket. It is more manueverable in a tight barn. I paid around $500 but it's worth it.

Good stuff - the purpose built spear rocks.

Where are the pics?

D.