Hay wagons; let's see them!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them!
Hello again DMF. Looking forward to the running gear with a bed on it. Help me out here, I can't see any steering linkage in the last picture. Is it my old eyes or are they hidden?

It's not your eyes, they are just hidden behind the front axle beam. See this view from before it was shortened.

Attachments

• Haywagon4.jpg
    Haywagon4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,091
I did a wagon last year that is more yard art than anything. Used milled telephone poles for bed.

Very nice; I like the spoked wheels!

We pull ours behind the baler. No sense in lifting them off the ground when working on flat gournd. We call them rack wagons around here. We fill two wagons then unload them in the shed or on to my fifth wheel to haul to another farm. These are home made. One with rough cut oak on the floor and the other with ply wood. The plywood floor is very slick.

Dan

That's pretty cool... A lot of the places my partner and I hay is not very flat; my farm is quite steep so I'm not so sure how well that would work for us...

I'm the "young" guy at 44 and my partner is 76 so I'm usually the one to throw the bales although he often has his wife drive the tractor and him and I both pick bales until we are a couple of rows high then he climbs up on the wagon to stack and I toss...

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #24  
It's not your eyes, they are just hidden behind the front axle beam. See this view from before it was shortened.

Ok. I see it now. It's just the opposite of the one we have. Ours is in the front of the crossmember/axle. I'm looking forward to see your finished product. I've been looking for one of these for myself to modify. I'd like to retrofit one to either use with a vehicle or change tongues and add a double tree and have the mules pull it.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #25  
Finding labor for that isn't a new problem. 15 years ago or better, a friend of mine and myself were the only ones that a local farmer could find for bailing. When we got real jobs, he used to beg us to come out after work. Between having a family, suffering with alergies, and bailing during the hottest part of the day, and hustling because you only had a few hours of bailing time, he went to round bails. I really enjoyed it as long as the wind wasn't in your face from the machine, and I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the loft. I really didn't like that. My buddy and I were pretty good sized and in good shape. We could stack a mean, high load in the day. That farmer loved us. I may have to beg him for work this summer!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #26  
DMF, Don't mean to come across as "pirating" your thread but just have to concur with DanD78 here. Yes, I'm afraid even some of the 4H and FFA kids have even given in to the "New Millinium" way of thinking. Can't find too many of them that want to do very much physical labor. I guess they have grown up in a more mechinized and computerized world. I guess I am sitting here typing on this gadget along with my cell phone "holstered in a tied down rig on my hip" :D Hahaha! I've even got kids who got caught in the "Nintendo Trap" and I guess I assisted in setting it but would love to go back and "take out" the first game system with a good 4lb. shop hammer! OK! "nuff said" Now back to those good ol' runnin' gears and hay wagons!

Jay

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #27  
jayste
sorry out of town a while. Don't know much about the trailer. There were no letters of numbers on it anywhere. A buddy of mine found it and just knew that I needed it.

DMF
The spokes were why I got it. I don't know what size the rims were when it was new. Someone had welded 16" rims on the spokes. big dan

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #28  
jayste
sorry out of town a while. Don't know much about the trailer. There were no letters of numbers on it anywhere. A buddy of mine found it and just knew that I needed it.

DMF
The spokes were why I got it. I don't know what size the rims were when it was new. Someone had welded 16" rims on the spokes. big dan

Big Dan,

It's funny you mentioned what you did about your rims. The ones on my dad's wagon are the same way. It appears that a previous owner welded newer rims on these spokes as well. You can't really see them in the pictures I attached in the previous post but they are exactly like yours but yellow. When dad painted it he wanted to give it a John Deere look.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #29  
Jay we have allis chalmers so thats why they are orange. big dan

I haven't forgotten this...I've been working on it quite a bit; hopefully I'll get some photos this weekend.