Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 139
  1. #31
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Hi,
    This is a very interesting post. A few years ago I wanted to build a trailer to haul round bales. So I bought this running gear off of Craigslist. After I bought it, I realized I don't need to haul round bales because I produce all the hay I need. I don't have to move them very far. So I've had this running gear sitting in the way for several years. Anybody need it?
    Butch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn0448-jpg   -dscn0449-jpg  

  2. #32
    Veteran Member jayste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,723
    Location
    "Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Quote Originally Posted by tanglefoot View Post
    Hi,
    This is a very interesting post. A few years ago I wanted to build a trailer to haul round bales. So I bought this running gear off of Craigslist. After I bought it, I realized I don't need to haul round bales because I produce all the hay I need. I don't have to move them very far. So I've had this running gear sitting in the way for several years. Anybody need it?
    Butch
    Butch,

    Where are you located? I'll take it if you're anywhere around here!
    Jay

    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

    If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

  3. #33
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    My email is mckaymed.yahoo.com. I'm 50 miles northeast of Dallas, and I'm not talking about giving it away.
    Butch

  4. #34
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    192
    Location
    Northwest MO
    Tractor
    CIH D40, JD5310, Mule 610

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    I was practicably raised in a hayfield. I have bucked a lot of square bales and just as many of the little Allis Chalmers round bales. Seen about every kind of hay wagon made and we went to using the 16' to 24' flat tandem trailers. Several reasons, not as high off the ground being the biggest reason, also much easier to back. Didn't work for attaching behind a baler but we didn't do that much. The big round bales finally came to the rescue.

  5. #35
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Houston TX area

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Hi, great thread! I just bought this old wagon that has been sitting a while... steering is rusted and does not turn. Thankfully I could back my trailer right up to it to winch it on.

    Am planning on taking off the steel bed, and returning it to a wood bed.

    Seller said it might be a John Deere from the 50's. Any-one know how to tell for sure? There is a tag on the rear axle, but it's blank... If it's a Deere I'll paint the frame green, and the wheels yellow.

    Also, any-one still sell parts for these? Would like to replace the bearings and seals on each wheel, and the steering bolt on each front wheel as they are badly rusted and worn. JDParts drew a blank when searching for wagon...

    Thanks! Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -wagon1-jpg   -wagon2-jpg  

  6. #36
    New Member southrnr17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4
    Location
    OH
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320 & 1020

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    I bought an old running gear at auction this spring for $75 and after sandblasting and painting it I finally got a deck on in time for fall hay rides and corn picking. I think it's an old homemade running gear - not the greatest but hopefully will serve my purposes. I had a really hard time finding a cheap running gear. Granted with all I've spent to date I probably could have bought a used hay wagon with a name brand running gear, but I've got the specs I wanted and to me there's something to be said for building it yourself based on your own vision.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_4017_800x600-jpg   -img_4035_800x600-jpg  

  7. #37
    Platinum Member DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    638
    Location
    Mass
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1552 Cab Model

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Sorry it's been a while but I do have some more pictures. I built it all and then pulled it apart for painting (I know....WAY overkill)

    First one shows the disassembly of the deck; all oak framing. These were all eventually coated on all sides and ends with outdoor deck stain tinted Massey Ferguson gray to match the wheels.

    Second shows the framework I built being primed.

    Third is the frame stripped and painted Massey Ferguson Red.

    Fourth shows the framework painted Massey red as well.

    The wagon is complete and assembled (has been for a while) but I haven't taken any pictures of it. I'll try to get some soon and post them up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscf1017-jpg   -dscf1019-jpg   -dscf1020-jpg   -dscf1021-jpg  

  8. #38
    Veteran Member jayste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,723
    Location
    "Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithF View Post
    Hi, great thread! I just bought this old wagon that has been sitting a while... steering is rusted and does not turn. Thankfully I could back my trailer right up to it to winch it on.

    Am planning on taking off the steel bed, and returning it to a wood bed.

    Seller said it might be a John Deere from the 50's. Any-one know how to tell for sure? There is a tag on the rear axle, but it's blank... If it's a Deere I'll paint the frame green, and the wheels yellow.

    Also, any-one still sell parts for these? Would like to replace the bearings and seals on each wheel, and the steering bolt on each front wheel as they are badly rusted and worn. JDParts drew a blank when searching for wagon...

    Thanks! Keith
    Keith, reference post #8 in this thread. We don't own this wagon anymore but was an experience working on it. Like you, we didn't know much about ours but figured ours to be a late '30 or '40's model. We based this on the type of wheels it had mainly. Older JD tractors had similar wheels on them as well. Anyway, we did the same thing with the paint job. Ours was converted to a covered wagon and we put brakes on ours. When we got it, it had a hand brake on it. As far as bearings we never replaced ours we just pulled and packed them. Most of these old wagons don't see too many long or high speed trips. Good luck with yours.

    Jay
    Jay

    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

    If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

  9. #39
    Platinum Member DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    638
    Location
    Mass
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1552 Cab Model

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Hi Keith - Nice looking wagon you found! I love the spoked wheels. For parts like bearings and seals you may just find something at NAPA or other autoparts stores. As Jayste mentioned, these wagons don't see much high speed so cleaning and repacking may be all you need; that's what I did with my running gear. I did need a new seal however and Autozone had one; it was a standard size. For a steering bolt you may have to find a good grade 8 bolt and modify it to suit your needs or something.

    Good luck and post up pictures of your work please!

  10. #40
    Platinum Member firefighter9208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    826
    Location
    Springville, Alabama
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800

    Default Re: Hay wagons; let's see them!

    Quote Originally Posted by southrnr17 View Post
    I bought an old running gear at auction this spring for $75 and after sandblasting and painting it I finally got a deck on in time for fall hay rides and corn picking. I think it's an old homemade running gear - not the greatest but hopefully will serve my purposes. I had a really hard time finding a cheap running gear. Granted with all I've spent to date I probably could have bought a used hay wagon with a name brand running gear, but I've got the specs I wanted and to me there's something to be said for building it yourself based on your own vision.
    What size is your wagon??? How high are the sideboards??? What did you use for your runners on the frame??? Did you use 4x4's for the "floor joists" What size wood did you use on the floor??? Is it pressure treated??? I was worrried about loose corn falling through when the pressure treated shrinks.

    Do you have any pictures of the construction process???

    BTW: I like it.

    I'm going one day this week to look at some running gears. One guy has two that he wants $100.00 each for. I want one to pull behind my corn picker, It's a New Idea 323. Looks a lot like yours.

    Another guy has a wagon with a floor and sides he wants $250.00 for. Not sure what it looks like though. It does have Electric running gear.

    Sorry for so many questions.
    2004 Kubota M4800 with Bushhog M346 Loader with 6' Heavy Duty Bucket and Bale Spear. 6' Bushhog SQ720 Mower, Bushhog RDTH72 Finish Mower. Bushhog 3pth Log Splitter. Andy Tatro Grapple. Home Made 48" pallet forks.

    1966 Farmall 140 with cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

    1999 F250 LWB Ext. Cab 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF 6 Speed, Chip, Exhaust, Cool Air Intake.

    2009 Chevrolet Traverse

    1969 Mach1 Mustang 351W. Too much to list.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.