Hay wagons; let's see them!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #51  
Hey guys,

just bought a new MF 1837 baler that has the center line baler. Want to use my current 16' flat bed car trailer to collect the hay instead of another piece of equipment (hay wagon). Looking at the baler it looks like I can run a 3" x 6' channel to extend out from under the baler which would be bolted to the baler frame--it has a welded tab with hole for a hook up already, put a 2" ball on the end or the channel piece, weld a brace from the 3" channel to the hay chamber and bolt it there. My question would be would that be strong enough (3" channel) to support a 16' trailer? Thanks

The tounge weight would most likely bend the baler hitch, you can build a dolly to take the weight and hook the dolly to the baler though. Or just buy a cheap hay wagon and be good to go :D

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #52  
After using the baler for the first time this weekend and looking at it we decided yes we should use a dolly or something up front of the trailer. Lucky enough my friend built a dolly and gave it to his neighbor who has never used it and just setting around so maybe we can get it back which would be perfect. Will see!

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #53  
Here are picture of our 20 ft flat on a Kory 8 ton gear. We use it for tobacco, hay and hayrides. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• korywagonback.JPG
    korywagonback.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 621
  • korywagonleftfront.JPG
    korywagonleftfront.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 930
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #54  
My Sears & Roebuck running gear hasn't seen a bale of hay in years, but it makes a nice picnic table when we have a big party.

mark

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #55  
My first choice (and long standing, years ago memories) would always be pulling the hay wagon behind the baler, with a trusty helper carefully stacking the square bales.

But anymore I work alone, dropping the bales on the ground.
Next pass is with dually truck and gooseneck trailer - low to the ground, easier to back into the barn. Just works for me these days.

For the couple thousand bales a year I put up, is the best I can come up with.

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #56  
Just for fun, here is the hay wagon that I built several years ago. Made from wood obviously but it was fully functional. All of the fasteners were wooden threads and the wheel rims were steam bent walnut. The main body was made from ash and the trim is all walnut.

Soon I will be making a steel version of this wagon, just a bit larger for the new Deere.

Attachments

• hw002b.jpg
    hw002b.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 329
  • w002.jpg
    w002.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 394
   / Hay wagons; let's see them! #58  
Here is a wagon I built in 1993. We have used it for hayrides and breaking driving horses, and it has served us well.

I designed the fifth wheel using standard trailer couplers and tow balls. This allows the wheels to follow the contour of the ground easily. You should be able to see what I did in the first photo.

Axles are standard trailer axles, with hydraulic brakes plumbed to a '62 Nova master cylinder.

The end of the tongue is fitted with a standard trailer coupler as well, I can tow it wherever I need to behind the truck, unhitch and connect the yoke, and am ready to hitch to the team.

ClydesdalesonHayWagon.jpg

HayrideGroup.jpg

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #59  
I broght two dutch brothers used hay wagons what kind of truck rims and tires would work on them? 6 hole patern

/ Hay wagons; let's see them! #60  
I broght two dutch brothers used hay wagons what kind of truck rims and tires would work on them? 6 hole patern

I doubt that truck wheels will work. They have too much offset. Here is a link to southwest wheel. Agricultural or Implement Wheels They have implement wheels that are very reasonable.

Chris